How to Make a Really Good Caribbean Fish Broth - Fish Soup
Fish is abundant in the Caribbean! That's great because I love fish and when I decided to become a vegetarian, I was delighted that there was a class of vegetarians called Pesca-Ovo Vegetarians. So I am now a Pesca-Ovo Vegetarian and loving it! I get to enjoy fish, eggs and my other favourite food - cheese.
If you are West-Indian, a soup or broth of some kind is the known Saturday meal. Everyone knows that!
So I picked up some Tuna at the downtown Fish Market yesterday, cooked a finger-licking good fish broth (fish soup) and now I am sharing the recipe with you.
Ingredients For Caribbean Fish Broth (Fish Soup)
- 1/2 Pound Fish (seasoned), [bony fish parts from a good fish like Tuna are especially good]
- 3 & 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 or 2 large Tannia(s)
- 1 large large Carrot (sliced)
- 1/2 Green/Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1/2 Onion (diced)
- 1 sprig Chive (chopped fine)
- 7 leaves Celery (chopped fine)
- 3 teaspoons Dry Ochro Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Milk Powder
- A few Dumplings, (see ingredients & recipe below)
- A dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to your taste
- DUMPLING Ingredients & Recipe
- 3/4 Cup White Flour
- 1/4 Cup (1/4) cup of Cornmeal
- 1/4 Cup (1/4) cup Warm Water
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 teaspoon Baking Powder
Fish Soup (Fish Broth) Ingredients
“A beautiful collection of low fat and healthy soups and chowders for you to prepare at home.The delicious Seafood Chowder makes a great meal on its own or as a starter or fish course for any dinner party.”
- Pour the Water and Salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Prepare Dumplings by combining White Flour, Cornmeal, Warm Water, Salt and Baking Powder into a dough.
- Add the Fish, Dumplings, and Tannia to the boiling water and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Carrots, Bell Pepper, Chive, Celery, Onions, Dry Ochro Seasoning, Coconut Milk Powder, Cayenne Pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve alone or with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil per serving.
- Enjoy every spoonful!
What's YOUR favourite soup?
Caribbean Fish Broth (Fish Soup)
|Serving size: 1 Cup (233 g)|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 363 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Salmon is one of the Omega-3 Fatty Acids containing fish, just like Tuna, Herring and Mackerel. If you didn’t already know, Omega-3 fatty Acids “reduce the risk of serious heart attack and cardiac arrest” and “they act as anti-inflammatories in cases of rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerous colitis and other autoimmune diseases” (Encyclopedia of Foods & Their Healing Power)
A delightful children’s story book about making Pumpkin Soup and a deeper underlying issue - the challenges and joys of friendship.
This book is suitable for children between the ages of 4 to 8 years and can be used by parents as a nice teaching tool when they accompany you in the kitchen. They learn to cook and they learn life lessons too. I couldn’t resist putting it here.
© 2014 Heidi Vincent