- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques»
How to Make Apple and Raspberry Crumble
Recipies for New Parents
Caring for a newborn baby is an all-consuming task. Cooking elaborate recipies requires time and close attention - two things that are seemingly incompatible with parenthood! But just because you have to go and change your little one or give them a feed every 15 minutes doesn't mean you have to sacrifice nutritious food for takeaways or microwave meals.
You don't even have to forgoe home-made desserts - there are plenty of recipies for fantastic tasting deserts that are simple to make, taste delicious and can be made in stages. Ideal if you have to fuss over your child for half an hour in the middle of cooking. This recipe for apple and raspberry crumble can be made in several stages and uses quick-and-easy measurements. We use tablespoons when making this dish as one heaped tablespoon is roughly equivalent to one ounce. It makes for a great dessert but also as an energy kick when running on empty!
My favourite ways to plate this meal include:
- With a dash of single cream
- With a serving of hot custard
- With a dollop of double cream on top, or with vanilla ice cream
Always eat this meal when hot. It can be reheated for another day
- Punnet Raspberries
- 2 Large Cooking Apples
- 8 Tablespoons Plain Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Soft Margarine/butter
- 6-8 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Pot Custard or Single Cream
Picture Guide: Apple and Raspberry CrumbleClick thumbnail to view full-size
Apple and Raspberry Crumble Recipe
- You can make this dish in any order, but it is easier to make the crumble topping first. If you need to stop in the middle of the recipe, this means nothing has time to spoil.
- Knead the flour, margarine and sugar in a bowl until you make breadcrumbs. If you are struggling for time or don't want to get your hands dirty (as you may suddenly have to attend to a bawling baby) you can pop the ingredients into the blender.
- Once the breadcrumbs are ready, pop them to one side and prepare your filling. Peel your apples then cut them in half
- Cut your apples into cm strips and then place a layer of them on the bottom of a pyrex dish
- Thoroughly wash your raspberries and then pour on top of your apple layer
- Add a second apple layer to your pyrex dish. Sprinkle the top with a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Pour your crumble breadcrumbs over your fruit until the breadcrumbs are level with the top of your dish. Sprinkle the top of your breadcrumbs with a tablespoon of sugar
- Place the dish inthe oven at 200C for around 40minutes until the fruit has reduced and the crumble topping has browned
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Then serve, perhaps with some cream or a portion of custard.