How to Make Apple Pie Taste Yummier
How to Make Apple Pie with a Twist
This article is about how to make apple pie taste better. That's impossible I hear you say... well no it's not! Although very American, apple pie is also a traditional British thing - and we know what were talking about over here!
This is a recipe of a pie I baked yesterday - I took some photos while I made it. The finished apple pie doesn't look too beautiful, but it tasted delicious!
What do I do when autumn comes around? I pick apples and make apple pie with them. It's amazing how many apples can be found on abandoned trees on the lanes just outside London. I go out with my husband and son and pick apples that nobody else wants every weekend during September and we have made some delicious apples pies.
We also find lots of blackberries and I often add them to the apples and make a crumble top -they are extremely yummy too and practically completely free!
I hope I will encourage you to have a go at baking one.
My Apples - They are not large but they are very juicy
In this recipe you don't only put lemon juice in with the apples, but you add zest in the pastry. I'd never thought of adding anything to pastry before I came across this, although now I add all sorts of herbs to savory pastry too, so it was a new thing for me and it turned out so good.
- 3 large cooking apples
- 250 g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 125 g butter
- Juice of 1 large lemons
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup COLD water to mix
- 50 g sugar ( brown or white)
- pinch of salt
- A little milk & caster sugar for the glaze
- 845 ml rimmed pie-dish
You can order delicious fresh cooking apples from Amazon
- Pre-heat oven: gas mark 7, 425 F 220 C ( reduce these temperatures by 10% if you have a fan assisted oven)
- Shortcrust Pastry: Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour. Rub gently and lightly with fingertips, lifting your hands up to keep the air in the flour. Keep it COLD. Do this as quickly as possible. When it looks crumbly, add LEMON ZEST to the dough. Start to sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water all over it and mix and cut with a plastic or round edged knife. Bring the mixture together adding a little water as you go along until you can form a ball of smooth dough with your hands that leaves the bowl clean. Wrap the pastry in foil or cling film and put in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Filling: While the pastry is resting peel and slice the apples and put them in the pie-dish. Add the lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Stir it together so the juice covers the apples. Place an over turned egg cup in the center.
- Roll out the pastry about Inch bigger than the pie-dish. Cut an inch strip to fit the edge of the dish. Dampen the edge, then fit on the strip of pastry. and then dampen that too. Then press the rest of the pastry over that to make a lid. pinch the edges together and make a small steam hole in the middle. Decorate with pastry leaves. Brush milk over the whole pie and lightly sprinkle it with castor sugar.
- Put in oven, bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat. gas mark 5, 375 F 190 C (more if you have a fan oven) and bake for 30 minutes more. It may need a little longer -test the apples with a knife to see if they're soft.Serve hot with single cream Mmmmmmmmm!
197 out of a possible 213 gave this 4 or 5 stars in the Amazon rating. Very easy to use and easy to clean.
Great Things to Help you Along - How to make apple pie
The biggest problem I had was preparing the apples because I had organic home grown ones and they had all sorts of marks and imperfections on the skin. Holes and bruises they were just what organic apples should look like! I had to cut bits off and peel them very carefully.
A tip is to have some cold water nearby so you can dip them into it when they get covered in bits that you don't want.
This is a peeler I picked out and something that makes removing the core very easy, but if you click on one of them you will be taken directly to Amazon.com where there are others designs.
The Crumbly look of the Pastry - Keep cutting and mixing until it looks like breadcrumbs
Did you know that apples...
have no fat, sodium or cholesterol and are an excellent source of fiber.
If your apples aren't large - use at least 6 small ones
Did you know...
that the seed of an apple is packed with cyanide! It's OK though you'd have to eat loads of them before they do you any harm! ( about half a cup full )
Great Gift Ideas - Fabuolus Apple Recipe Books
I have picked one out for you because it gets very good reviews and is a hardback, perfect for a special gift. A great book full of information about what apples suit which recipe. 24 out of a possible 26 people gave this book a 4 or 5 star Amazon rating.
If you click on this book you'll be taken to Amazon.com where there are so many lovely books to choose from.
Place the bowl over the pastry - and keep rolling it out until it is an inch bigger - then cut it all round
Subtle Lemon Taste
The lemon zest in the pastry is not over powerful. It makes the pastry a bit more exciting and adds to the gorgeous apple pie smell when it comes out of the oven.
This is how you put the strip of pastry on the pie dish
Place the top on using the rolling pin - it's easier
Did you know...
that apples are part of the rose family.
Rolling Pins - You won't be able to make an apple pie without one
Here's one I picked out for you because it got great reviews. But if you click on it you'll be taken to Amazon.com where there are others styles to choose from.
114 out of a possible 127 people gave this rolling pin a 4 or 5 star Amazon rating.
So are apples good for you?
The answer really is yes! There are many reasons for this and here's a quick list as an example. I am not a doctor or nutritionist - but I have found facts all over the web about the health benefits of apples.
- There are only 50-80 calories in apples and they have no sodium or fat.
- They contain potassium, which may be good for your maintaining a healthy heart.
- They are packed with vitamins C, A, They have small amounts of iron, calcium and phosphorus.
- Apples contain fiber, which is essential for the health of your intestines
- They help to control insulin by releasing sugar slowly into your blood
- They have pectin and this reduces cholesterol levels
- Research shows that eating one before a meal can help you lose weight more quickly. Research also shows that apples are good for maintaining healthy skin.
- Research shows that consuming 5 apples a week lowers the risk of respiratory problems such as asthma. It's a pretty impressive list isn't it.
Organic Zest is Best
If you can't find one then make sure you wash the lemon thoroughly in warm water and a little vinegar to remove the wax before adding it to your apple pie pastry.
Varieties of Apples - Which are best for making Apple Pie
A Timely Gift - A lovely kitchen clock for any apple lover
8 out of a possible 8 customers gave this a 4 or 5 star Amazon rating. It is really well made and not made of plastic. Hefty. Quality.
Holidays in England, UK
- Things to do in England: The South | Adventure Travel Shop
England is famous for apple pie with a nice cup of tea! They grow thousands of apples in the south of England. Things to do in the south of England.
An Apple a Day - Will it help keep the doctor away? It seems so! Here's why...
Article: Apples & Health
- 10 Surprising Ways Apples Are Good for Your Health
Discover the many health benefits of eating apples--by international best-selling author of 60 Seconds to Slim, Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD, ROHP.
Don't forget to make a steam hole in the middle
Not the Prettiest Apple Pie in the World - But it was VERY TASTY!
This Apple Pie Looks much Nicer! - I made this one yesterday, putting in a bit more effort with presentation!
Amazon's Deal of the Day
Click here to find Amazon's daily amazing deals. It's worth checking them out -you never know you might find the perfect bargain you were searching for! Good luck.
What do you think?
Will you be making this apple pie?
© 2013 Giovanna