how to make apple pie recipe
ORIGIN: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
In the United States, "As American as apple pie" is saying, meaning "typically American". In the 19th and 20th century, apple pie became a symbol of American prosperity and national pride.
- 2 and 1/2 cups Flour, for pastry
- 1 table spoon Flour, for filling
- 100 grams butter, Cut into small peices
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 cups apple, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 table spoon lemon rind
- 1/2 table spoon cinnamon powder
- 1 egg, beaten lightly(optional)
- As per taste Salt
- For the pastry, out 2 1/2 cups of flour into a bowl and mix the butter into it with your fingers lightly until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add water, little by little until, the mixture comes together to form a ball. Knead lightly and put into plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour
- For the filling, mix the apples, sugar, brown sugar, 1 table spoon flour, lemon rind and cinnamon powder in a bowl
- Divide the pastry into 2 balls, one a little larger than the other. Roll out both to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Use the smaller circle to cover the base and sides of an 8 inches pie dish. Fill this with the apple mixture.
- Cut out strips of 1/2 inch thickness from the larger circle and place them in a criss-cross manner over the apple filling. Trim the edges along the dish.
- Brush the top with beaten egg(optional)
- Bake at 175 degrees centigrade for 40 mins or until the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve hot with vanilla ice-cream.