How to Make Beef Rouladen Meat Rolls
What is Beef Rouladen Meat Roll?
It is a very thin piece of beef that is filled and cooked in the form of a " Roll ".
This is a popular German Dish filled with bacon, onions and spicy dill pickles. Simmered in brown gravy.
If you have never tried this dish you are going to be amazed at the wonderful flavors that will burst in your mouth from this meat roll.
The Dill pickles seem to add the most amazing flavor you have ever tasted!
So before you judge, give it a try.
Some say this dish is a little time consuming but, I will make this recipe as easy as possible for you.
Rouladen has been a tradition in my family ever since I can remember. My Mother made it the best. Her Gravy is still hard for me to accomplish. I haven't given up yet.
Gravies are hard to make from scratch. So, that is why in this recipe we are going to use help from
Garvy packets. Besides, I said I was going to make this as easy as possible.
The packet's are just going to help enhance and thicken the gravy. You'll see when it's all done.
Remember, don't judge till you've tried!
- 1 Pound thin sliced Beef Top Round Steak
- 2 Large Onions. 1 cut into strips, the other into cubes
- 1/2 Pound bacon, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup oil any kind you like using.
- Dijon Mustard
- 4 -5 cups beef broth
- 2 Knorr or Maggi Boullion cubes
- 2 packs Knorr or Maggi Rouladen Gravy mix. Or any brown gravy mix. Can also use a mushroom gravy mix.
- 1 jar Dill Pickles
- 1/2 cup Juice from the Pickles
- Tooth picks
- Garlic powder
- Lay each beef strip out on the counter.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Smear Dijon mustard with a butter knife on one side of the meat.
- Lay 3-5 strips each of bacon, onions and pickles on top of meat.
- Roll the meat and secure with a couple of toothpicks to hold it all together.
- Put 1/2 cup oil, cubed onions and the rest of the bacon and pickle cuts if you have any left from what you were using when filling the meat, in a large, deep skillet and sautÃ© onions till glossy.
- Add the Beef Rolls and sautÃ© all sides till brown for about 10 minutes.
- Pour beef broth and extra bouillon cubes over meat.
- Simmer slowly for 1-1/2 hours.
- Mix gravy packs in a 1 cup water, add the pickle juice and pour into pot over the meat.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes
- Taste if you need more garlic, salt or pepper
This is the Onion, pickle and bacon mixture to sautÃ© the meat rolls in after they have been rolled up
Drizzle pot with olive oil and throw in the onion mixture. Once the onions are a golden glossy color, put the rouladens on top and let simmer.
Beef Rouladen Simmering Slowly for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Meat should almost fall apart.
No Yellow Mustard
Sorry yellow mustard, not this time.
Spicy Golden Mustard for this recipe
If you do not have Dijon mustard. Any kind of spicy golden mustard will work.
Just not the "Yellow mustard"!!! Do not use that.
You know the one I'm talking about? The one most of us use to put on Hot dogs.
Don't get me wrong, I like yellow mustard just like anyone else. Just not for this recipe today.
The one I use which is pictured here to your right is Guldens Spicy Mustard. It works perfectly.
Add Maggi Rouladen Gravy Mix to Enhance the Flavor of the Gravy While Simmering
- How to make German Wiener Schnitzel
German Schnitzel recipe that is easier than you think.
- German Sauerkraut Recipe
The Best German Sauerkrat EVER! The secret to cooking a good pot of Sauerkraut is.......The Golden color .
- Easy cauliflower soup recipe
- Easy Potato Soup Recipe
Making Delicious, hot, creamy potato soup is so easy. There are many ways to make it.
- Easy Recipe Pork Smothered in Gravy
Recipe for Pork Smothered in Gravy
- Ground Beef Homemade Meatballs
Do you need meatballs for spaghetti, parties, Hors d'oeuvre's, in creamy gravies. You are at the right place. There a few secret's to making these magnificent little treats. Just remember these simple tips. Making Meatballs is all in the...
- How to make canned Ravioli taste better
Can, canned ravioli really taste better?
- How to Make Beef Stir-Fry Rice Recipe
Stir-fry or stir-fried rice is a tasteful dish that can be the main dish. Mine is different because I prefer to use Rice-a-Roni in it!
© 2015 Ramona