How to make Beef Rouladen Meat Rolls
Beef Rouladen Meat Roll
What exactly is Beef Rouladen?
It is a very thin piece of beef that is filled and cooked in the form of a " Roll ".
This is a popular German Dish filled with bacon, onions and spicy dill pickles.
If you have never tried this dish you are going to be amazed at the wonderful flavors that will burst in your mouth from this meat roll.
The Dill pickles seem to add the most amazing flavor you have ever tasted!
So before you judge, give it a try.
Some say this dish is a little time consuming but, I will make this recipe as easy as possible for you.
Rouladen has been a tradition in my family ever since I can remember. My Mother made it the best. Her Gravy is still hard for me to accomplish. I haven't given up yet.
Gravies are hard to make from scratch. So, that is why in this recipe we are going to use help from
Garvy packets. Besides, I said I was going to make this as easy as possible.
The packet's are just going to help enhance and thicken the gravy. You'll see when it's all done.
Remember, don't judge till you've tried!
- 1 Pound thin sliced Beef Top Round Steak
- 2 Large Onions. 1 cut into strips, the other into cubes
- 1/2 Pound bacon, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup oil any kind you like using.
- Dijon Mustard
- 4 -5 cups beef broth
- 2 Knorr or Maggi Boullion cubes
- 2 packs Knorr or Maggi Rouladen Gravy mix. Or any brown gravy mix. Can also use a mushroom gravy mix.
- 1 jar Dill Pickles
- 1/2 cup Juice from the Pickles
- Tooth picks
- Garlic powder
- Lay each beef strip out on the counter.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Smear Dijon mustard with a butter knife on one side of the meat.
- Lay 3-5 strips each of bacon, onions and pickles on top of meat.
- Roll the meat and secure with a couple of toothpicks to hold it all together.
- Put 1/2 cup oil, cubed onions and the rest of the bacon and pickle cuts if you have any left from what you were using when filling the meat, in a large, deep skillet and sautÃ© onions till glossy.
- Add the Beef Rolls and sautÃ© all sides till brown for about 10 minutes.
- Pour beef broth and extra bouillon cubes over meat.
- Simmer slowly for 1-1/2 hours.
- Mix gravy packs in a 1 cup water, add the pickle juice and pour into pot over the meat.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes
- Taste if you need more garlic, salt or pepper
This is the Onion, pickle and bacon mixture to sautÃ© the meat rolls in
Drizzle pot with olive oil and throw in the onion mixture. Once the onions are a golden glossy color, put the rouladens on top and let simmer.
Beef Rouladen Simmering Slowly for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Meat should almost fall apart.
No Yellow Mustard allowed!!!
If you do not have Dijon mustard. Any kind of spicy golden mustard will work.
Just not the "Yellow mustard"!!! Do not use that.
You know the one I'm talking about? The one most of us use to put on Hot dogs.
The one I use which is pictured here to your right is Guldens Spicy Mustard. It works perfectly.
© 2015 ramonabeckbritman