- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to make caribbean oxtail soup
Caribbean Oxtail Soup
In this recipe the OXTAIL can be substituted with COW HEEL if desired.
- 2 lbs lean oxtail
- 1/2 lbs split peas,lentils or any beans preferance, presoaked
- 1/2 lbs sliced carrots
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup chive
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 whole pepper
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp or 3 leaves shadow benny (bandania)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped celery
- green fig, optional
- eddoes, optional
- pumpkin, optional
- Season the oxtail with shadow benny ,thyme,and salt.
- In a large pot place seasoned oxtail,(eddoes,green fig,pumpkin) ,pre-soaked peas and carrots;add enough water to cover ingredients and to cover ingredients.
- Cover and cook until meat and peas and other ingredients are tender to preferrance.
- Skim of fat and add more water to make required quantity of soup.
- Add the remaining ingredients.Cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat. Let cool and serve. N.B-Dumplings can also be added to this recipe if prefered
Dumplings for soup
What you will need.
1 cup flour,1/2 tsp salt,1/4 cup water or less
Combine flour,salt and water ,adding water little by little ,kneading to a dough
Roll out dough with rolling pin and cut into cubes.
Place cubes into soup and cook with other ingredients.
N.B- Dumpling should be added last 10-15 mins of cooking soup.
|Serving size: 280|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Fiber 11 g||44%|
|Protein 40 g||80%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 281 mg||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|