- Food and Cooking
How To Bake Potatoes in Coals
Perfect Every Time
Where did coal baked potatoes begin? Some say the US, others Haiti. Others say the practice originated in Africa. Truly coal-baked potatoes are a global experience. To follow the frugal tradition, I only bake potatoes on the coals after the main food has cooked.
This does two things. One it saves money. Two, it makes sure the bed of coals is ready for the potato. Although I only need to prepare one at a time the principle would be the same for more potatoes.
So grab your grill, get your favorite potato, and let's get baking.
What Type of Potato?
You can use any type you prefer for baking. However if you are lucky enough to have a store that sells them loose, why not experiment? I prefer a potato that bakes up non-stringy, has firm flesh, yet is easily forked into creamy goodness with some soy butter.
I've used one like this for years, so I know these little grills are sturdy. Enough cooking space for one to two people. Perfect for baking potatoes, cooking steaks, or grilling hotdogs.
Step One: Get the grill going.
Step Two: Prepare your main meal.
Step Three: Prep Potato.
Step Four: Cover Potato.
Step Five: Bake One Hour.
Step Six: Enjoy!
All the Steps
- Step One Get the grill going. I'm using paper here to get the charcoal started. It will take about fifteen or twenty minutes with pre-treated charcoal, longer with natural to reach cooking stage, white ash on the coals.
- Step Two Prepare your main meal. I did two vegan burgers, which cooked for nine minutes. After I ate the coals were ready for the potatoes.
- Step Three, Scrub and dry potato. Prick with fork, rub with soy butter. Wrap in foil.
- Step Four Using tongs, pull aside some coals to make a bed for your foil wrapped potato. Then top with fresh charcoal, trying to form a blanket to cover it.
- Step Five Allow coals to bake potato for one hour.
- Step Six. Remove and enjoy with soy butter or other desired toppings. Potato is done when a metal skewer can go through easily.
How To Videos
My method seems unique but works for me, here's how other folks do it
- how2heroes Coal-Roasted Potatoes
What better time to roast potatoes than when you've got something cooking on a grill or in your smoker? Mark Patuto shares his tips for foil-wrapping your spuds and tossing them on the fire. Doesn't get any easier. They'll pick up the smoky-scented g
- Coal Roasted Potatoes
Slow-roasted Yukon Golds...
- Campfire Baked Potatoes
Potatoes are popular as a camping staple because they travel well: they are easy to bring, donÃ¢€™t need refrigeration, and versatile as a meal by itself or to substantiate any entrÃÂ©e. Here are some easy potato recipes, let everyone choose and make
Details please! How about bucket grills, are you a fan?