- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Central, Northern & Eastern European Cuisine
How to Make German Wiener Schnitzel
German traditional "Wiener Schnitzel" so easy to make!
When you hear "German" other than Beer, you might think "Schnitzel". That's because the Schnitzel is so popular there. We Love our Wiener Schnitzel's.
So what is a Schnitzel? It's non other than Breaded Veal or Pork Cutlet. What makes the schnitzel so delicious is the Thinness and the crust.
That's right the Thinner the better it tastes. The meat has to be tenderized. Not through a store machine tenderizer. It is best if you use a food hammer and beat it to spread and make it thin. Well, you've come to the right place because I am going to tell and show you how to make them.
Tenderize Meat with a Tenderizing Hammer
Schnitzel is originally made with "Veal" but can be improvised with " Lean Boneless Pork Chops", "Pork Loin" or "Butterfly Pork Chops".
Wash and pat dry the meat.
Flatten/pound it with a tenderizing hammer till the meat is about 1/4 inch thin without tearing the meat. Pound it evenly.
The thinner you get the meat the Better the Schnitzel will taste. Just be sure not to pound it too shreds or tear holes in the meat.
Season with Salt, Pepper, paprika and garlic on both sides
Dip Cutlets into Flour/Breading Mixture
- Line up 3 plates in each one you will put, the following
- all purpose flour, plate #1
- 2-3 eggs beaten, plate #2
- 2-3 cups bread crumbs spread around in, plate #3
- salt and pepper sprinkle both on the flour, mix
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder sprinkle on flour, mix
- after you have applied the bread coating on the meat it should look something like this, ready for cooking
- Using a fork ( or your fingers will get mushy-gooey) dust the meat in seasoned flour
- Dip the floured meat into the egg mixture and coat well
- cover with bread crumbs
- Let them rest for a couple of minutes before putting them into the frying pan.
Fry the Schnitzel
Heat oven 225 degrees while frying the Schnitzel
* Heat oil in Large skillet and fry the Schnitzel on both sides till golden brown.
Be sure to use "Fresh" oil. Never use left over oil that you might have saved. The reason for the fresh oil is because the bread crumbs cook quick. Used oil will just burn the bread crumbs then the meat will not be done and your schnitzel will be a disaster!
* Put in the oven for about 10 minutes
* When serving the Schnitzel squeeze a few drops of fresh Lemon juice all around it and garnish with a slice of lemon in case your guest prefers a few more drops.
You now have made a German Wiener Schnitzel. Congratulations!
Knorr Wiener Schnitzel Breading in a package
You can get already made Knorr schnitzel breading on Amazon. They have anything a person could possibly want.
I live in a small town in Arkansas and shopping is extremely limited. Once every 3 months, my Grandmother used to send small packages to me from Germany with Knorr Schnitzel breading. That was back in the day when there was no such thing as computer, internet or Amazon. I feel ancient now.
Any way, to make a long story short. She didn't have to send the breading to me any more because the internet and Amazon evolved in my life and I started ordering it online myself.
Schnitzel with French Fries
French Fries go very well with schnitzel. So does Potatoes salad. They both make a nice side.
Have you ever tried french Fries with a Brown Gravy poured over them? This is very Good you should try it one time.
In Germany French Fries are called " Pommes Fritz".
If you have a Schnitzel or two left over. Save for the next day and make a Schnitzel Sandwich.
A nice Crusty roll smeared with a dollop of Mayonnaise and a slightly rewarmed schnitzel in the middle is "DELICIOUS"!
Planning Meals and Finding Recipes - Food Network and Meals Matter
For quick reference I have added a couple of good sites. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I am not and they are not in any way affiliated with each other.
- Food Network Link
We all know and love "Food Network". Great recipes by Great Chefs and people like you and me.
- Meals Matter Link
Sometimes we go blank and can't think of what meals to prepare. That's were Meals matter comes in. You can do all sort's of things there. Make and save your shopping list. Find recipes and save them, create your own recipes. Plan meals by the day-wee
Thank you for Stopping By
I hope you have enjoyed this easy Wiener Schnitzel recipe
© 2011 Ramona