- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How To Make Home Made Peanut Butter
Have you ever wondered how to make home made peanut butter? Well this is how and it is easier than many of you may think. First you will need a high powered blender not just any run of the mill blender, but a really high powered one like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
The big advantage of this is that you now have control over the type of nuts that are used, and their freshness! The product that you buy in the supermarket was made several months before you buy it, and it can even be years old. If you make your own you will know exactly when it was made and what is in it!
It will also taste better and once tried you will never go back. It saves about half the price of store bought peanut butter too, sometimes more when places like the Bulk Barn have the nuts on offer at as much as 50% off.
Peanuts In Vitamix
- 3.5 Cups unsalted roasted peanuts
- Vitamix or equivalent blender
- Vitamix tamping tool
Peanuts Measured Ready To Go
1. Add the half cup of peanuts and set switches to variable speed 5. Turn on blender and let run until nuts are small chunks (Used if you like chunky peanut butter only). Empty chopped nuts into your glass storage container.
After One Minute Using The Tamper
Peanut Butter Formed After 1 Minute
2. Turn Blender on Variable speed 1 and gradually increase speed to 10 then switch to High speed and tamp the nuts down using the tamper tool, and blend until smooth, or required consistency is reached. Usually about 1 minute.
After Scraping Out The Peanut Butter
Vitamix As Dirty As They Get
3. Scoop the peanut butter into your glass storage container. I use a long handled teaspoon. Be careful not to damage the spoon or blender blades. Once done your container will look like this!
Water And Detergent Ready To Go
Vitamix Blender with Warm Water and Detergent
4. Do not worry! Add 4 cups of warm water, and a couple of drops of dish soap. Turn blender on Variable 1 and increase speed to 10 then switch to high and leave it to run for about a minute. The soap will froth up and the picture below shows what it looks like. Ensure you have the lid and stopper properly in place before you turn on!
Dirty Blender After Running On High For 1 Minute
Cleaning The Vitamix Blender
5. When the container is clean and looks like this, remove lid and stopper and rinse them under a hot tap, empty the contents down the sink and then rinse the container too.
Drying The Vitamix
6. Place top stopper and blender container on a clean dish towel and let them air dry. All done.
Put the peanut butter in the fridge and leave for at least an hour before eating, unless you prefer it warm!
Vitamix Air Drying
What Do My Readers Think Of The Recipe?
Nutritional Values Of Peanut Butter
|Serving size: 1 - 3tbs|
|Calories from Fat||126|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 14 g||22%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutrition Data For Peanut Butter
You Will Need A High Power Blender Like A Vitamix
I use the Vitamix 1732 Turbo Variable speed blender shown here, but Blendtec also make fine blenders of the quality needed to make nut butters. Cheap blenders will overheat and even burn out trying to do this task. It takes less than a minute in the Vitamix just use the tamper tool and follow their instructions.
You Will Need Peanuts To Make It
It is easiest to use roasted, but unsalted peanuts to make peanut butter, although you can use raw nuts if you prefer. I buy mine at the local Bulk Barn, but they are available from Amazon if you do not have a local bulk supplier. Use unsalted and roasted nuts, raw nuts will work, but they do not have as much oil and will make a much stickier peanut butter. This will also make raw nuts more likely to burn out your blender. You could roast them yourself if you prefer as then tyou know what has been added and of course you can use an oil of your choice. Just a little is required to help prevent the nuts from burning while you roast them.