How To Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
Homemade Tortilla Chip Recipes
Have you ever wondered how to make homemade tortilla chips right in your own kitchen? Here I will share two different popular homemade tortilla chip recipes.
The first tortilla chip recipe will be baked tortilla chips and the second will be fried tortilla chips.
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
Making tortilla chips right from your own kitchen is fairly simple as long as you have the right equipment and ingredients. Most recipes call for frying the chips, which is fine as long as you have a deep fryer or a large enough pot or pan. However, not everyone has these materials so having an alternate way of making the chips is beneficial. Plus, frying foods is not always the healthiest option. The solution to these two concerns is baking the chips rather than frying them. In order to use this recipe you simply need a conventional oven, an item most people have, as well as a cutting board, knife, and cookie sheet. The resulting chips will still have a nice crunch, and they will be healthier than if they were fried. As far as ingredients go, you will need corn tortillas, cooking spray, and something to season the chips with. Salt is always a good choice for seasoning, but for people that want a healthier option paprika, chili powder, and cumin will create a tasty snack, too.
Now that you know the necessary ingredients and cooking materials, let’s get started with the steps in the recipe.
-Salt (or other seasonings)
1. Preheat oven to desired temperature (Between 350 and 375 degrees works best)
2. Cut tortillas into wedges. Round tortilla chips also work well, but these usually take more time to make, although using a round cookie cutter will make the process go faster.
3. Place cut tortillas on cookie sheet.
4. Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Sprinkle seasoning over tortillas
5. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until crisp
6. Remove cookie sheet from oven and let tortillas cool.
Note: The amount of chips you end up with will depend on how many bags of tortillas you decide to cut up.
Homemade Fried Tortilla Chips Recipe
Here you will learn how to make tortilla chips in a fryer or frying pan. Making crisp, fresh and hot tortilla chips in your own kitchen is quite easy and does not take very long to make.
The first step is gathering the ingredients of tortilla, salt and vegetable oil. You can use white, yellow or blue corn tortillas for this recipe. For the frying of your tortilla chips, a deep fryer is best, but a large pot or pan can work too.
-Salt (or other seasonings)
1. Preheat fryer to desired temperature (Between 350 and 375 degrees works best)
2. Cut tortillas into triangular shapes. Round tortilla chips are also popular but these are typically more time consuming to make, although using a round cookie cutter will speed up the process.
3. Add cut tortillas to the fryer in small batch sizes. Fry till crisp.
4. Remove tortillas and lay them out to drain. Using a paper bag lined with paper towels works well.
5. Season chips while warm as this ensures the best flavor. (Salt is typically the only seasoning uses although Mexican seasonings and paprika make for tasty chips, too)
Note: The amount of chips you end up with will depend on how many tortillas you decide to cut up. Also, if this sounds like too much work you could always stop by your local grocer to buy a bag of tortilla chips too.