- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Mini Bread-Muffin Pizzas
A Recipe for New Parents
With a newborn baby, my wife and I are really struggling for the time to cook properly. Gone are the days when we had hours to prepare, cook and savour a meal - so we have had to come up with some cunning ideas to prepare great tasting food in as short a time as possible.
One of my favourite quick recipies that we have developed is the mini bread-muffin pizza. This easy home-made recipe gives great tasting pizzas that can be prepared and cooked in less than 20 minutes. Not only that, but each mini pizza can be eaten one handed - great if you are trying to soothe a baby at the same time! This recipe is also great for parties. They are versatile, easy to make and you can change the recipe to suit your own needs/tastes/whatever is in your fridge.
My favourite ways to plate this dish include:
- On their own - savour the different toppings with no guilt...they're only small after all!
- With a side salad - if you fancy a healthy option!
- With some fries - if you just fancy some comfort food. The pizzas are small enough to enjoy with other dishes!
- Packet Bread Muffins, (These come in packs of 6 or 8.)
- 200g Grated Cheese, (Any variety will do, but hard cheeses are easier.)
- Tube Tomato Puree, (You can substitute a freshly made puree if you have the time.)
- Toppings, (Anything you like! Ham, bacon, pepperoni, peppers, mushrooms.)
- Oregano, (Optional.)
- Chilli Flakes, (Optional.)
Picture Guide:Homemade Mini Muffin PizzasClick thumbnail to view full-size
Mini Pizza Recipe
- Switch on your grill to Gas Mark 6
- Using a bread-knife, cut the bread muffins in half.
- Place the muffins under the grill for 1 minute. Then turn them over and place back under the grill for a further 1 minute, until lightly browned
- Remove muffins from the grill and place onto a chopping board to prepare your toppings
- Squeeze a tablespoon of tomato puree into the middle of each muffin. Spread evenly using the back of a spoon or a knife.
- (Optional) Sprinkle each pizza with a TINY pinch of oregano or chilli flakes if desired
- Add a handful of grated cheese and spread evenly across the surface. If you are feeling exotic, try mixing two types of cheese!
- Now add your toppings to the pizzas. The muffins are small, so you won't need much. You can either mix and match your toppings or have lots of different types of pizza!
- Place under the grill for 2-4 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove pizzas from the grill and leave to stand for 2 minutes. Plate your pizzas and serve. You may wish to enjoy a side salad with your mini pizzas.