How to make pineapple upside down cake from scratch
Homemade pineapple upside down cake
Ooey, gooey pineapple upside down cake looks so festive and tastes even better than it looks! The buttery caramel sauce and the fruit combine to make a cake that's moist and dense.
You might think it's complicated to make from scratch, but it's actually very simple. If you're really pressed for time, you could use a yellow cake mix instead of making your own batter. But you'll see how easy it is to make this homemade pineapple upside down cake recipe entirely from scratch.
I like to make it with white whole wheat flour because I prefer to use real, whole ingredients whenever possible. And that includes real butter instead of margarine or shortening.
So get out your mixer and let's start baking!
All photos © 2012 Lynda Makara
Pineapple upside down cake ingredients
Here are most of the ingredients you'll need to make homemade pineapple upside down cake.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices canned pineapple (14 oz can)
- 9 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/3 all purpose (or white whole wheat) flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Take a 9" x 9" pan, put 1/4 cup butter inside and melt the butter in the oven. For good measure, I also sprayed the sides with cooking spray. Remove pan from oven, sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Arrange pineapple slices along the bottom of the pan and put a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring.
- At this point, you can make a boxed yellow cake, or continue with the recipe as follows:
- Cream 1/3 cup of butter with the 1 cup of sugar. Add the baking powder, salt, vanilla and egg. Whip for a minute. Then add the flour alternating with the milk. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium speed. Note: When using whole wheat flour, I find that it requires a little more liquid
- Spread the batter over the top of the pineapple slices. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- As soon as you take the cake out of the oven, run a knife around the edge of the cake, put a plate on top of the cake pan and turn them upside down. The cake should release easily from the pan. Leave the pan on top of the cake for a few minutes to let the buttery syrup drip over the cake.
Step by step photos of making the pineapple upside down cakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Homemade pineapple upside down cake fresh from the oven
You'll see I didn't use a 9" x 9" pan because I don't have one. So I split the batter up into two different pans. It came out perfect!
Want some? It's delicious!
Popular pineapple upside down cake recipes
- Betty Crocker recipe
This classic favorite has made a comeback, and it's easier than ever to make when using a cake mix.
- An old family recipe for pineapple upside down cake
You can make this one in a cast iron skillet
- Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe: Paula Deen
Leave it to Paula to make this cake over the top by adding frosting and pecans!
- Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Using a yellow cake mix makes this recipe fast and easy
- Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe | Epicurious.com
This one calls for cardamom and rum. Yum yum!
© 2012 Lynda Makara