How To Make Ground Beef Recipes
My mother made delicious mince stew for us when we were kids. I still make it today. There are a number of recipes here to make with ground beef and mince.
Step by step instructions with photos.
Meals Made with Mince
This meal is still a favourite of mine and can also be made in bulk and put in the freezer. Therefore I make enough for a few meals in a large pot and freeze the main part of it.
I add most of the carrots to the pot grated because large pieces of carrots do not freeze very well; they are always a little bit too soggy when reheated.
The other carrots are dished up for that night’s meal so are just right in texture and taste.
The potatoes also do not freeze that well either. So I add enough potatoes to the pot that I want to use for dinner. This also gives the stew flavour.
When I take out a portion of frozen ground beef stew for dinner I cook fresh potatoes in a pot on their own and add them to the stew a couple of minutes before I dish up.
Preparation and cooking time
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 20 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 50 min
- Yields: Makes 10 dinners
- Packet mince steak, ground beef
- 2 large onions
- 3 large carrots
- Small amount of cabbage
- 3 medium potatoes
- Tin or tube of tomato puree
- Small amount of oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of gravy powder
Step by Step Instructions
Prepare the vegetables first
- Cut the head and end of the onions and peel off the skin.
- Run under the cold water of the tap. This prevent the odours making you cry.
- Slice the onions into small pieces
- Cut off the top and end of the carrots and peel the outer skin.
- Chop up three carrots into either long strips or small round pieces.
- Grate the remainder of the carrots
- Cut up the cabbage into very small pieces
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks
- Add a little oil to a large pot and heat.
- Throw in the onions and heat until brown. Make sure you stir often.
- When the onions are ready then add the mince steak or ground beef and stir in well. Do not overcook. The meat should only be allowed to go brown. This seals in the flavour.
- Add a large amount of tomato puree. This depends on your own taste but I always add half a tube
- Pour in water that is boiled and stir
- Add the carrots both grated and the other pieces.
- Also add the chunks of potatoes.
- Add more water if necessary. The water should cover all the ingredients. Bring to the boil and then simmer on a very low heat.
- The stew will be cooked through in about an hour and ten minutes.
How to Make Gravy
- Take a jug and add about a half cup of cold water. Add approximately 2 tables spoons of gravy powder and mix in very well.
- Turn the heat up on the pot with the stew and slowly pour in the gravy powder. Make sure you stir constantly until all the liquid has been added to the stew.
- If you think the stew is too thin add more gravy powder. Wait until the stew comes back up to the boil and then simmer for a further ten minutes
- Turn of the heat and dish up the mince steak and vegetable stew!
How to Freeze
Once the stew is cold enough you can put it into small one person portions in a dish.
Cover each dish with either a freezer bag of cling film and put in your freezer.
When you want to eat stew again just take out whatever portions you require and leave to defrost for a few hours.
Reheat when you are ready for dinner either in the microwave or in a pot.
If you have a large family it would make more sense to put the stew in a bigger dish and freeze.
I only have one more person in the house so it is better for me to freeze them in smaller portions.
My parents both worked when we were small.
They were saving money to immigrate to Australia with us five children.
This was a cheap and easy meal for mum to make and me to dish up.
Mum made this ground beef stew the night before and put it in the fridge when it was cold.
When we came home from school either myself or brother would heat it up for dinner and we had a hot meal.
Mum did not come home until seven at night with my dad not finishing work until even later.
So this was a handy meal that mum could prepare before hand
I was ten and my brother twelve at the time. I also had three younger sisters at nine, seven and five years old.
There was no tomato puree in those days so mum cut up tomatoes and added them. We also loved to pour on tomato sauce when we ate it with chunks of bread.
Mum and dad would finish off the stew when they got back from work.
It was also even cheaper for her to make because she had vegetables growing in the garden that went into the pot too.
How to make beef stew
I usually add frozen garden peas or home made mushy peas to the stew too/ My mother grows her own peas so she adds them straight from the garden.
You can use other vegetables too and experiment with the different flavours.
The mushy peas are made in bulk and frozen so when cooking a stew I take a bag out in the morning to defrost them.
I add either peas once the gravy is mixed in and the stew is simmered for the last ten minutes.
Mince Stew with Vegetables
I also cook this without potatoes so it can be used as part of other meals
It can be made in bulk and portions can then be put in the freezer. Add the mince stew to spaghetti, pasta, mashed potatoes or chips.
All Images are copyright of L.M.Reid