- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Snickerdoodles
Easy to make Snickerdoodles
These must be one of the easiest cookies to make. In fact, I'll bet you have everything you need to make them, already in your cupboard. That is one of the things I like about these, no unusual ingredients that I will have to search the stores for. Perhaps that is why these are so popular.
You may have a recipe for snickerdoodles that uses cream of tartar as a leavening agent. In this recipe, I only use the baking powder. I had to alter my original recipe as here in Brazil, some of the ingredients aren't always available to me.
This recipe will make about 60 cookies. This is all dependent on how big you make the cookies and if you eat the dough.
- 2 3/4 Cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 cup Margarine, good quality
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Sugar, for the topping
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon, for the topping
- Begin by creaming the sugar and the margarine. Using an electric mixer, beat until creamy. The appearance of the sugar granules should have disappeared. It is a good idea to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure all the sugar is creamed in.
- Next add the eggs. Using the blender, on low speed, fully incorporate them.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt with a fork. The reason being, if you don't do this, you may get a bitter taste which will be the baking powder.
- Add these dry ingredients to your margarine and sugar mixture. The dough will be stiff but continue blending until smooth. Remember to scrape the sides of your bowl. There should be no flour showing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill until firm enough to handle. This can also be left until the following day if you wish.
- 10 minutes before removing your dough from the refrigerator, preheat your oven to 375°.
- Preparing the topping: This simple topping is just 1/3 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix well with a fork.
- Roll some of your chilled dough into a one inch ball. Place this in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and turn to coat. It is a good idea to use a spoon for this.
- Place this on an ungreased cookie sheet. The cookies will spread so leave a space between them.
- Using the base of a glass that has been dipped in the cinnamon and sugar, flatten the dough into shape by pressing the base of the glass down lightly on the cookie. Do the same for all the cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges begin to go golden.
Take the tray out and remove to cooling trays immediately. Leave to cool and then put in a cookie jar.
Try another cookie recipe
- How to make Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
a bit of chocolate; a bit of cookie; and a whole lot of Oreo. Everyone's hedonistic desires and tendencies finally found their fix. Easy to make, fast and utterly delicious.
- Easy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Here's another of my favorite cookies. Oatmeal raisin. Easy to make, and scrumptious. I prefer mine a bit soft and chewy, with plenty of raisins to add the extra sweetness.