How to Make Spiced Hash Browns
Quick Recipies for New Parents
Cooking should be enjoyable, not a chore. Unfortunately, when you have just brought your first child into the world, cooking quickly becomes a chore. With a bawling baby demanding attention every ten or fifteen minutes, it is not surprising that cooking elaborate meals becomes one of the first things to go on your seemingly endless to-do list. But it doesnt have to be this way.
There are plenty of meals and snacks that require minimum preparation and cooking time, that are far more nutritious and delicious than anything you shove into a microwave. The trick is getting creative and developing quick and easy recipies. Whilst a baked potato takes over an hour in the oven, spiced hash browns get you the same nutrition in merely ten minutes.
These delicious savoury cakes can be eaten one handed (ideal for when you need to hold baby) and take 10 minutes from start to finish: a very quick and easy recipe! They can be eaten:
- On their own with some mango chutney;
- With a side salad;
- Sprinkled with cheese;
- As a side dish to a main meal.
Another way of cooking your potatoes, with the efficiency of being quick and easy to prepare and serve. As well as that they are delicious, give it a try!
- 2 Large Potatoes, grated
- 1 Small Onion, grated (optional)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Flour
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala, (or curry powder)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Picture Guide: Spiced Hash BrownsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Spiced Hash Brown Recipe
- Mix the potatoes, onion, spices, egg and flour together.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mixture a tablespoon at a time until golden brown underneath. Turn over and fry the other side for 4-5 minutes total.
- Serve your hot, tasty cakes with mango chutney, or a side salad!