- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beginners Guide to Making Sushi!
A Quick History of Sushi!
Norimaki sushi is one of the famous traditional Japanese dishes, which is never very common in North America. Sushi was formerly used as a way of preserving fish, and the word sushi doesn't refer to fish at all, it refers to rice seasoned with vinegar, sugar and salt. Did you know thatsushi traditionalists say that fish should never be completely raw, or completely fresh? In fact, nearly 80% of the world's bluefin tuna is used for sushi alone.
Ingredients for Sushi!
- 250mL short-grain rice, (gohan)
- 300mL water
- 15mL mirin, (sweet rice wine)
- 40mL rice vinegar
- 25mL sugar
- 5mL salt
- 2 sheets nori, (seaweed)
- 1/4 english cucumber
- 5mL toasted sesame seeds
- 5mL pickled ginger&wasabi
- 5mL mayonnaise
- 1 green onion
- 50g smoked salmon/imitation crab
- 1/4 avocado
- Rinse rice until the water is mainly clear and drain. Place the rice in a medium sized pot, add water and bring to a boil uncovered.
- Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. (Keep covered)
- While letting the rice simmer/stand heat vinegar in a small saucepan with mirin, sugar and salt. Let sugar and salt dissolve and set aside to cool.
- Cut two long strips of cucumber,avocado, green onion, and salmon/crab approximately as long as the sheets of nori. Set aside.
- Spread the cooked rice onto a jelly roll pan (a cookie sheet will do just fine as well). Drizzle 1/2 of the vinegar over rice tossing gently with chopsticks or a fork. Stir in remaining vinegar mixture and fan rice so it will not go soggy. Continue stirring and fanning for about 2 minutes.
- Place your first sheet of Nori on your bamboo mat, shiny side down.Spread about 150mL of the rice mixture onto the Nori. (Leave about 1.25cm on each long side)
- Place a cucumber stick lengthwise on the rice(closest to you)also place your avocado, green onion, and salmon/crab here.
- Add a thin line of mayonnaise and sprinkle with sesame seeds. (This is optional)
- Roll up Nori in a jelly roll fashion using the bamboo mat to form a roll.
- Moisten the Nori edge with a little vinegar, press firmly.
- Repeat with second sheet of Nori.
- Slice each roll into pieces and eat with ginger/wasabi.
- To make rolls with rice on the inside! Place a layer of rice on the Nori edge to edge, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Flip Nori over so rice is against plastic wrap.
- Add desired filling. Roll up Nori and squeeze firmly.
|Serving size: 9 pieces|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 10 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|