- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Stuffed Bell Pepper Nigerian Moyi-Moyi
6 bell peppers, any colors
2 cups dried black-eyed beans (you can use peeled beans)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 fresh red chili pepper or 1tablespoon ground red pepper (or according to taste)
1 10 oz tomato paste or 3 fresh tomatoes (optional)
2 tablespoon vegetable oil or palm oil
1 1/2 tablespoon knorr or magi granulated bouillon
1 tablespoon dried ground prawns (optional)
Salt to taste
If you are using unpeeled beans, follow all the steps. If you are using peeled beans, soak in water for about 20 minutes or until the beans increases in size, and is tender to touch, then continue from step 6.
- Soak beans in a large bowl of water for 10 minutes. Drain the water and place the beans in a food processor.
- Pulse/break briefly until beans is slightly broken.
- After breaking, pour the beans back into the bowl and add water. Peel the skin/black eye by rubbing the beans with your hands.
- Sift skins, and continue the process until all the skins/black-eyes are removed. Soak for a further 5 minutes or until the beans increases in size.
6. Put the peeled beans into the food processor. Add the chopped onion, fresh pepper, tomato paste or fresh tomatoes, and about 1/4 cup of water. Grind into a smooth paste.
7. Pour the smooth beans paste into the bowl. Stir in the vegetable or palm oil, bouillon, ground prawns, salt, and mix gently; adding warm water a little at a time until you get a consistency that is not too thick or too light. If the mixture is too thick, the stuffing will be heavy and dry instead of soft and moist.
7. Wash and cut top of bell peppers; about 1 inch from the stem, and remove the seeds.
8. Pre heat water in a steamer pot; preferably, one with a steamer basket set over it. If you don't have a steamer pot, set a base in any pot to prevent burning, and pre heat water in it.
9. Half fill the bell peppers with the beans mixture as it will rise while cooking.
10. Set stuffed peppers in the steamer/pot; cover and cook for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a stuffed pepper comes out clean
11.When cool, the moyi-moyi should be firm to touch.
12.Cut and serve alone or with Custard, Akamu (fermented corn starch), jollof rice, fried rice or Gari (coarse cassava meal). The Moyi-Moyi can also be cut into small pieces and put on a salad in place of chicken or any can of meat for vegans and vegetarians.