- Food and Cooking
Hungarian Baking: Sour Cream Bundt Cake With Apple Filling
The Apple Bundt Cake from the Szegedi Region of Hungary
Hungarians make wonderful Desserts!
Apple cakes are perhaps the favorite Hungarian cake recipe known by most Americans.
Sometimes they are intricate and fancy affairs, like apple pite, but most of the apple cakes are delicious homebaked cakes which are loved by all. You know the ones: cakes that Grandma used to bake.
These are the recipes I wanted to share with you, added to the Hungarian Food collection of pages. From the Szegedi cake (named for a region of Hungary) which is perfect for company, to the easy Hungarian apple cake that is delightful to make for a family dessert.
The name 'Szegedi' means this recipe came from the Szeged region of Hungary. Located on the Great Plain on the southern border of Hungary, Szeged is renowned for their paprika, their salami, and goulash stews cooked in open pots.
Szegedi Apple Cake
I make this dessert recipe at Christmas or for company, it is so pretty sprinkled with a lacey covering of confectioner's sugar.
This cake has a rich sour cream batter, with an inner filling of chopped apples and walnuts.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 3/4 c. butter 2 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 c.brown sugar
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3/4 c.sugar
- 3 eggs -separated; whites stiffly beaten
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp.baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 chopped medium apples
- confectioners sugar
- Stir 2 tsp. butter and brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts 'til crumbly.
- Beat butter and white sugar 'til creamy. Add egg yolks. Add flour, salt, and baking powder, alternating with sour cream.
- Fold in stiff egg whites. Turn 1/2 batter into greased tube pan Sprinkle with the walnut mixture, then apples.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes
Swirl Bundt Cake Pan
Give Your Cake a Beautiful Shape
I love the molded shapes of bundt cakes, they are a great way to show off your enticing apple cake or rich pound cakes. Just a dusting of powdered sugar or a lick of glaze will present a pretty look. The center will hold a dollop of whipped cream or pile of sweet fruit. This particular shape with the swirls is one of my favorites.
Use This Swirl Bundt Pan
The sophisticated swirl design gives your cakes panache. Just dust with confectioners sugar or drizzle with glaze. It gives the bundt cake its distinctive shape.
Your cake is presentable to company with just its shape and your baking! talents.
I use a Fluted Baking Pan
A Bundt pan gives a decorative shape to your apple cake, and this is the one I use. I bought it back when I first started learning to bake, so many years ago. Little did I know how long and dependably it would serve me!
Owned my Nordic Ware brand Bundt pan for decades.
I love the original shape, and it has been used for countless batches of cakes- Hungarian apple, Peanut Butter pound cake, and more...
There are gorgeous and unusual Bundt pan shapes. A very pretty one would have a multitude of uses: these are perfect for pound cakes, too.
Apple Cake Tip
When sprinkling confectioner's sugar on the cake, use a paper doily to make a lace pattern. Simply hold the doily over the cake,sprinkle powdered sugar through it.
Removing the Cake Perfectly
If you liked my Bundt cake recipe you might enjoy these traditional apple coffee cakes from Hungarian kitchens, as well.
Make Quick Work Of Peeling The Apples With A Parer
Hungarian Apple Lattice Cake - Like a pie
Use a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet with sides for this recipe.
This recipe was passed down from a "home cook"; many such recipes take for granted that you know something about baking. Be ready to adjust oven temperatures and times to fit your oven. Use good baking apples like Granny Smith, and if you need a clue to amount of sugar to use, borrow amounts from an apple pie recipe you like. Or add to filling and taste until you like the result.
Cake With Toppings Of Nut and Fruit
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 8 cups flour
- 1 lb. butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 8 apples thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (opt)
- sugar to taste
- 2/3 cup ground walnuts
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- additional sugar and ground nuts for top
- Separate eggs into yolks and whites.
- ~~Mix dry ingredients~~
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and baking soda with butter in the method you would pie dough (cut in with pastry blender).
- ~~Mix liquid ingredients~~
- Beat egg yolks, add sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Combine liquid with dry ingredients.
- Divide dough into two pieces and roll out, not too thin. Line greased cookie sheet with one layer of dough.
- Combine the apple slices with graham cracker crumbs, ground nuts and arrange on bottom dough layer,
- Sprinkle with a couple teaspoons of sugar, dot with butter.
- Roll out second layer of dough, cut into strips. Arrange strips in lattice pattern over filling layer.
- Beat egg whites stiff and spread ( not too smoothly) over top of lattice. sprinkle with some added sugar and ground nuts.
- Bake at 375 degrees until light brown. Approximately 35 minutes.
Apple Coffee Cake with Poppy Seed
Easy Hungarian Apple Cake - Harvest Torte
This one is everyday easy. Comes out like a moist spice coffee cake.
You can add a 1/4 cup currants or dust top with powdered sugar if desired.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 cups apples, diced, unpared
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients together, stir well. Pour into greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes until done in 400 degrees (hot) oven.
- Cool, cut into squares, and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Best Cake Apples
Firm, crisp apples, such as Galas, Granny Smiths, or Fujis
Do you like cakes such as the Hungarian Apple Cake?
Recipes you can bake at home
Visit the Kaffee Haus
Recipe book worth having:
Try some of the 150 recipes from the famous coffee houses of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague. Or try each and every one!
The Eastern European knack for making the most mouthwatering, delectable desserts is yours, all illustrated with stunning photographs.
These cakes travel well
Take The Cake - With this Handy Carrier
If you go to potlucks or family reunions, or have need to transport one of your cake creations anywhere this cake carrier will come in handy.
Take your Cakes to Potlucks, Church Dinners, and Family Holidays
Removable tiered cupcake trays make this a highly versatile carrier. Take your cakes and cupcakes safely to any event. Features include measures of 16 inches in diameter, collapsible lid, clip fasteners, handle, and it carries both round and square cakes.
Do you like Apple Cakes?
If you try any of these recipes I'd just love to hear how you liked it or any tweaks or suggestions you would like to make.