- Food and Cooking
This dish is quick to prepare and makes for a nourishing start to a meal. The paprika flavouring is added with the stock when making the sauce to allow plenty of time for it to cook thoroughly and give its full flavour to the sauce, A base of crisp toast soaks up the egg yolk from the soft-boiled egg- you can use white or wholemeal bread,
Hungarian Eggs Ingredients
- 6 medium-sized eggs
- 6 slices bread
- 1 pimento, canned
Ingredients for the Paprika Sauce:
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 250 ml hot chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons thick cream
Hungarian Eggs Directions
- Cut the pimento lengthways into twelve thin strips.
- Cut the bread into rounds with a large pastry cutter. Or place a large cup upside down on the bread and cut around the rim.
- Toast the bread on both sides and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a small heavy-based saucepan over low heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour.
- Return the pan to low heat and cook the roux for 4 minutes, until it is a pale fawn color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the hot stock, gradually at first, until it is thoroughly combined. Add the paprika.
- Return the saucepan to low heat and bring to the boil, stirring.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, soft boil the eggs. Arrest cooking by plunging them in cold water for a minute. Shell the eggs and put them in a bowl of warm water.
- Place egg yolk and cream in a small bowl and blend together with a fork or whisk.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add 5 tablespoons (75 ml) of the hot sauce to the egg and cream liaison.
- Gradually pour the contents of the bowl into the saucepan, whisking or stirring all the time.
- Return the saucepan to low heat and gradually bring to boiling point, stirring. As soon as the sauce reaches boiling point, remove the pan from the heat and cover,
- Place the toast on warmed individual plates. Pat the eggs dry and place one on each piece of toast.
- Carefully spoon some of the hot sauce over each egg.
- Arrange 2 pimento strips in a cross over each egg and serve immediately.