Hungarian Soups Recipes
Hungarian soups recipes are just soup recipes as we know from other ethnic kitchens, but they are different by the spices what we use.
I had to use a lot of memories and home recipe books to find something which really can stand out...In the meantime i did check if they are not published somewhere, so i am not falling in some copy sin.
Here you will find the result of my work, 5 soup ideas and please, do not be afraid, try them out, i did and i am still alive.
Are you soup lover or better off...? - Are you interested in Hungarian soups recipes?
Is the soup important for your health?
Hungarian Onion Soup
Is the only onion soup what i knew in my childhood so I did like it better than the french one. Certainly is easier to made it. But try it and judge yourself....obviously, instead of the quail eggs may be used chicken eggs, 2 eggs per portion. It is delicious...
- 6 pcs onion (600 g)
- 24 quail eggs (12 chicken eggs)
- butter 1 tbs
- oil 3 tbs
- black pepper 1 ts
- vinegar 2 tbs
- bay leaf 1
- Cut onion fairly small pieces and on medium heat, with the oil and butter simmer it until soft (with 1 ts salt) . When soft, mash it with a food processor. ( my mom used to get it through a sieve, which is not what i advise you to do).
- Now put 2 liter of water in a pot to boil, when the water is boiling, put the mashed onion in it, the bay leave, pepper, vinegar and poach the eggs, one by one in the boiling soup, leave it on low heat 5 minutes, tasting it for salt. After 5 minutes is ready. Should be creamy,
- as cream of onion soup. So very easy and quick soup.
Put your apron while cooking, did not teach you your mom?
This cute apron will light up your day with a smile.
White bean soup (Szaraz bab leves) - Hungarian white bean soup
This recipe is a classical winter soup recipe, very tasty and nourishing. I will give the smoked pork ribs with white beans recipe, but the soup is very good without smoked meat too.
- white beans ( or kidney beans) 1/2 kg
- smoked ribs 1/2 kg
- 2 onions medium
- 4 carrots
- tomato juice 1 cup
- bay leaves 2 pcs
- celery stick 1 pc
- lard(oil) 1 tbs
- flour 2 heaped tbs
- vinegar 2 tbs
- butter 1 tbs melted
- 1. the beans should be soaked in water a day before cooking.
- 2 start cooking the beans with smoked ribs, with 3 liters of water, bay leaves and the carrots, celery stick, onion.
- 3 . when the beans are ready, everything is ready. Take away the pot, get out the carrots, onions, celery stick and mash it in food processor.
- 4. in a small pan heat the lard, butter with the flour and mixing it continuously, on medium heat, give a color to the mixture. ( this is the hungarian bechamel - rantas)
- 5. when ready slowly put the tomato juice, mixing it, in order to keep it uniform, and put it in the soup together with the mashed vegetables. Put the pot back on the heat until is boiling again. Taste it for salt and put the vinegar. Now is ready and should look as in the photo.
Hungarian bechamel (rantas)
One of the Hungarian soups recipes special component.
This is quite a Hungarian add to some soups ( as the white bean soup, or some vegetable soups, as simple potato or green bean soup) and is very simple to make it:
1 Tbs melted butter , 1 tbs oil and 2 tbs flour. Put it on heat in a pan, mixing it continuously on medium heat until turns a bit coloured.
Now you have to be careful when put it in the soup, as this mixture tends to form kind of noodles, so first make it smooth with some soup or water, and when is thin, leave it slowly in the soup, mixing in the pot in the meantime. My mom used a sieve to push it through in the soup.
I use it carefully, as i guess is not very healthy, that fryed flour, but this quantity for 6-8 servings can not be that bad. Gives a special taste to the soup, and some consistency. Most of the time is used with vinegar which combination is really tasty.
Wild spring leaves soup
When spring arrives, i love to go in my garden, under the fruit trees i always find extremely interesting leaves, wild plants which, as i did learn since i am living in the village, are eatable and tasty. These plants are: wild onion, stinging nettle, dandelion, water cress ( i have the wild variation also) and wild sorrel. All of them are in my garden from the end of April, and last the whole May. After that i am using the garden varieties, a bit less tasty and healthy. I put leaves of fresh radish too, if it is handy. All these plants are the base of my favorite homemade vegetable soup recipe.
- wild leaves including onion
- 1 onion chopped fine if the wild one is not in your garden.
- 2 tbs.
- flour 100 gram
- egg 1 pc
- I pick up the wild leaves, about 1/2 kg, clean them well, wash with a lot of water and cut them, if is necessary. With 2 liter of water and 1 ts of salt bring the mixture to boil. In the meantime mix the flour with the egg, adding water slowly slowly, to get a mixture as it is the simple cream, After the water with the leaves is boiling, with a small teaspoon we make small noodles, in the boiling soup, and leave to boil 10 min. Tasting it ,for salt, do not forget the lemon juice, to make it a bit sore. People who do not care about weight, will put some cream in the soup when served...
Pot for your soup
Hungarian Lettuce Soup recipe (Tojasos salata leves)
This is a summer soup, nutritious, tasty and healthy.
- lettuce (1/2 kg) any kind or mixture.
- onion 1 pc
- 4 eggs
- bacon 100 g
- 4 tbs
- cream 2 tbs
- vinegar 2 tbs
- Washing well the lettuce, cutting it 1 cm slices, with 2 liters of water, salt 1 ts and onion bring it to boil, and boil it 10 min. Take it away from the heat and mix in a boll 1 egg with the cream, vinegar, put it away too. Now take a pan, put the oil to heat, cut the bacon small pieces and fry it about 5 min, until dry. Mix the eggs and make an omelette , cutting it in small squares. Now you can put first the mixture from the boll and then the omelette in the soup. Taste it for salt. The Hungarian lettuce soup is ready for serving.
Hungarian Potato and Taragon Soup (Tarkonyos krumpli leves) - One of my favorite winter soups recipes
This soup is also one of my favorites, from my grandmother, and my daughter likes it just the same, my grandchildren, as i hope, will remember it as i remember from my granny. It is a winter soups recipe, nutritious, a bit vicious...
- 600 g potato chopped cubes.
- 10 pepper beans
- 600 g smoked ribs (or any smoked pork on bones)
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves
- egg 1 pc
- cream 2 tbs
- vinegar 2 tbs
- tarragon chopped fresh (2 tbs) or dried (1 tbs)
- First we have to boil the smoked ribs, until they are tender but not falling off from bones. Adding the potatoes, pepper, onion+1/2 garlic (which should be removed after 35 min) we boil the soup until the potato is tender, almost starts mashing. Now we put the pot away, mixing in a boll the egg, cream, tarragon and vinegar and the 1/2 garlic, mashed., adding the mixture to the soup. Now is ready to be served.
Please give some love to these recipes!
And how about losing weight eating soups? - A Hungarian soup recipe sometimes help...
i do believe that soups are helping to loose your belly...