I'm Finally Sharing My Healthy Breakfast Recipe!
When I started eating healthier last year, I had a real hard time finding a breakfast meal that was healthy, low in calories and actually filled me up. So I experimented and eventually came up with this combo. It's super tasty, super healthy and it fills me up. Because of this meal, I wake up each day looking forward to breakfast.
When I describe it to people, most of them wrinkle their noses at the thought of carrots in their eggs. To be honest, I didn't think I'd like it either. But I don't like the texture of egg whites and I needed something healthy to add bulk and texture. Shredded carrots fit the bill perfectly and in the amounts I use, they can't even be tasted.
Be careful when choosing your bread. I chose Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful because it's just 45 calories a slice. If you're also trying to go lower carb, I would recommend Flat Out Hungry Girl Foldit Flat Bread Whole Wheat With Flax. I absolutely love the taste and and it has less carbs (but more fiber) than my Sara Lee bread.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup diced onions and peppers (green, red, yellow)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce (optional)
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 pieces Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful 100% Whole Wheat W/ Honey Bread
- Preheat your skillet to medium and add the coconut oil, coating the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the eggs and carrots. Then add the onions and peppers and mix. Last, add the Sriracha and mix.
- When the skillet is hot, add the egg mixture and cook until they're done.
- Toast the bread.
Every time someone tries my eggs and asks for the recipe, they all ask the same question: "What the heck is Sriracha?". Well, let me tell you, Sriracha is a sauce made of pureed chilis. When used alone, it'll make you want to claw your tongue out to stop the burning. But when mixed into other foods, it adds just a bit of a kick without adding too much hot. The only Sriracha I use is the original, Huy Fong Sriracha.