- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Indian Food: Dal Khichdi Recipe
Khichdi is a traditional Indian food. This food is very popular among the Bengali people. In West Bengal state of India khichdi is served after many religious pujas. This food takes less time to make and is very tasty. A simple preparation of Khichdi can be prepared in very low cost; hence it is popular in many mass eating cerem
Now, if you want to taste this food you shall have to prepare some. One can make very delicious Khichdi quiet easily. The recipe of Khichdi and the art of making Khichdi are discussed below for you.onies in India.
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Mung Dal ( Mung bean or Moong bean, Mungo in Philippines, Golden Gram or Moog in Bengali)
- 2 pieces Onion
- 1 tsp Ginger – garlic paste
- As required Coriander leaves
- As required Mint leaves
- 2 pieces Potato
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 pieces Tomato
- To taste Salt
- 4 tsp Oil
- At first you need to roast the mung dal to make it slightly hot.
- Now mix the dal with the rice and soak it for 15 minutes. After that drain the water. Keep it aside.
- Cut the tomatoes, onions and potatoes to small size pieces. Now mix these with salt and some chili powder. Also mix it with ginger – garlic paste. Keep it aside.
- Mix Coriander and Mint leaves with clove and grind these to make a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Now add some oil in a pot and fry the tomatoes, onions and potatoes.
- Now add Coriander and Mint leaves mixture with it.
7. Now cook the mixture for some time.
8. Take rice and the moong dal with the cooked mixture in a Pressure Cooker. Add 4 cups of hot water with the mixture.
9. Cook until three whistles.
10. After that serve it hot.
A Simple Preparation of Khichdi
If you do not have time to do so many things to taste Khichdi you can check this recipe. This Khichdi recipe will make some excellent Khichdi in less time and ingredients.
♣ Serves : 2
♣ Cook Time: 20 Min
Rice: 1 cup
Mung dal ( Golden gram )
Chili (Mirchi) Powder: ¼ tsp
Salt: to taste
Turmeric Powder ( haldi): ½ tsp
1) Soak the rice and the Mung dal with water. Keep it for 15 minutes. Then drain the water out.
2) Now mix the rice and the dal with the turmeric powder. Add chili powder and salt with it.
3) Now you shall have to put the mixture in a pressure cooker.
4) Pour 2 cups of hot water in it.
5) Cook it till three whistles.
6) Finally, the Khichdi will be prepared. Serve it hot.
To bring some variations in taste you can add cinnamon ( dalchini) or clove. Sometimes ghee is added for better taste. There are many types of Khichdi recipes. You can also experient with the ingredients for creating various tastes.