Chicken Ghee Roast
Mangalore, the coastal town of Karnataka is famous for two things.
Its use of Gold in Marriage and its Food.
The people of this coastal district are famous for introducing some of the excellent and mouth watering dishes. One of the dishes which has gained very wide popularity is “Chicken Ghee Roast”.
Recently i came to know from one of my colleague about a Mangalorean restaurant ‘Anupam’s Coast to Coast’ in Bangalore where this dish is served. But despite having this dish so many times. I was not able to make out the ingredients and its way of preparation.
So finally i decided to ask one of my close friend who is a Mangalorean and she explained me the recipe.
I used that recipe and below is the result of the first time preparation of Mangalorean Style Authentic ‘Chicken Ghee Roast’ by me.
- 500 Grams Chicken
- 1/2 Piece Lemon, Squeezed
- 1/2 Cup Curd
- 1 Tbsp White pepper powder
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt, To Taste
- 25 Red Chillies Long, Roasted
- 8 Red Chillies Round
- 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds, Roasted
- 1 Tbsp Cumin seeds, Roasted
- 1/2 Tbsp Fenugreek Seeds, Roasted
- 20 Garlic Flakes
- 2 Tamarind, Cherry sized Balls
- 70 ml Refined sunflower Oil
- 70 ml Pure Desi Ghee
- A Handful Coriander leaves, Chopped
- 3 Lemon, Wedges
Method of Preparation
- Clean the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken. For marination add the below to chicken add salt as per taste add Haldi Powder add 1/2 lemon Juice add 1 Tbsp white pepper powder add 1/2 cup curd.
- After 24 Hours Roast the Red chilles long and Red Chilles Round in the Frying pan using 1 Tbsp of Ghee. The chilles should not be burnt or should not become black.
- Roast the Coriander seeds.
- Roast the Cumin Seeds.
- Roast the Fenugreek Seeds.
- Peel the garlic Flakes.
- Grind the below ingredients and keep the paste aside. Red chilles Long Red Chilles Round Coriander seeds Cumin Seeds Fenugreek Seeds Garlic Flakes
- Put the Tamarind in to 1/2 cup of Hot water.
- Chop the Coriander leaves.
- Cut the lemon wedges.
- Put the oil in to a deep frying pan and allow it to get heated. Once heated shallow fry the marinated chicken, till the chicken browns a little bit and becomes soft.
1. Add the Paste of the ingredients made in step 9 of Method of Preparation to the leftover oil in which chicken is fried in step 13 of Method of Preparation. Stir it and fry it till the paste leaves a little oil on the sides.
2. Now add the chicken to the paste and cover the pan and reduce the flame to low. After every 3 minutes check the gravy and the chicken. After 15 minutes of slow cooking. Add the remaining mix from marination (Optional).
3. Now add Water to the mix and bring it to boil.
4. Check if the chicken has been cooked properly.
5. Stir the mixture on a high flame so that the water dries out completely.
6. Now add the chopped coriander leaves and mix.
7. Add the ghee and mix. Switch off the flame and leave the dish for sometime.
After 15 Minutes, Voila!! awesome Chicken Ghee roast is ready. Serve with Hot chappatis or Rice.
Note – This dish is best when the marination of chicken is done for 24 hours.
|Serving size: 4|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2015 Nisha