Irish Brown Bread Recipe
There is nothing quite as aromatic as the scent of a delicious loaf of Irish Brown Bread baking in the oven. This easy recipe makes the most flavorful nutty, crusty loaf. I like mine with a nice coating of cream cheese, but a dollop of honey butter is wonderful too.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbls unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400Â°.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate or cake pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a hole in the center.
- Pour the butter and buttermilk in the center.
- Stir until mixture starts to form a ball.
- Dough may be sticky so don't be afraid to dust with plenty of flour.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Shape into a ball, place dough in pan and cut a deep cross in the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.