Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Irish Soda Bread is an old classic bread that spans centuries. I love the thought of making the same recipe that might have been used so many years ago. It warms my soul to start from scratch and make something so enjoyable to share just like our ancestors.
Serves: 1 loaf
- 4 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Adjust amount of flour or buttermilk if if dough is too wet or dry.
- Shape dough into a ball and place on baking sheet, flatten slightly.
- Score a deep cross in the top of dough.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow to the touch on top.