- Food and Cooking
How To Make An Italian Tomato Pie
Tomato Pie Italiano
The pie is made with fresh garden tomatoes, onion, and green pepper. Everyone I know who has tried it, loves it. The Italian Tomato Pie is easy to assemble, economical to make, and the results are delicious.
For your convenience, this recipe is printable so you can take it to your kitchen with you.
Fresh ingredients make a big difference when making a pie. Vine tomatoes are my favorite.
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 4-6
- (1) Pie crust
- (3) Tomatoes (Roma or any medium vine ripe tomatoes)
- (1) Sweet Onion
- (1) Green Pepper
- Basil (Dried or Fresh)
- 1/3 Cup Hellman's Mayo
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan or Romano or Pecorino cheese
- Kosher Salt
Large sweet onions are my favorite all purpose onion.
- 1. Line pie pan with one single pie crust. Prick crust at random with a fork. Bake in 425 degree oven for ten minutes. (Pie crust can be home made or store bought.)
- 2. While crust is being prepared, slice onion, tomatoes, and green peppers, and set aside.
- 3. Mix mayo with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Remove pie crust from oven to cool. Drop oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- 5. Layer vegetables onto pie crust: Thin layer of onion, thin layers of green peppers, thin layers of tomatoes. Top tomatoes with a sprinkle of basil and kosher salt, and continue onto the next layer until the veggies fill the crust. (You can save a couple of stray slices to decorate your pie if you like.).
- 6. With a spoon or spatula, spread the top of the pie with the mayo-Parmesan cheese mixture. Spread from center of pie to edge of pie crust. Sprinkle the top pie with shredded cheese, and lightly press onto the mayo cheese topping. Decorate with left over odd pieces of tomato or green pepper, if desired.
- 7. Bake at 405 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, when top begins to turn a golden brown. Insert knife in the center of pie, if it comes out clean, the pie is done.
- NOTE: Not in a hurry? This pie can be baked for a longer time in a lower temperature oven. Bake at 350 degrees for about forty five minutes. Pie crust will not burn if you protect the circumferaance of the pie with a strip of aluminum foil.)
- This pie is sure to be a favorite.
The best way to compliment the Italian Pie, is with a fresh, crisp, sweet green pepper.
A convenient and easy way to prepare pie crust.
The Last Piece Of Pie
I always believed my variation of the tomato pie recipe was good, but when a friend stopped over and ate almost an entire pie (left one piece), that pretty much confirmed it. I had to laugh when he told me that I "found the way to a man's heart."
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to consider my recipe for your collection. I would love to hear from other tomato pie lovers, and welcome your variation of this treasured recipe.
© 2011 Tonie Cook