- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- New World Cuisine
Best Jamaican Patties Recipe
Recipe for Jamaican Patties
This is a great recipe for authentic tasting Jamaican Patties; delicious golden pastry filled with curried beef and spices.
The filling for this recipe can easily be modified if you prefer chicken or vegetable patties...the possibilities are endless!
Jamaican Patties can be served alone as a great snack, or with rice and peas and fried plantain for a really satisfying "Caribbean style" supper.
This recipe yields 8 patties; I usually serve a couple for supper and then freeze the rest for a quick snack anytime.
For the Pastry Dough
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons Hot Jamaican curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup water
The Best Curry Powder to Use is JCS Real & Hot Jamaican Curry Powder
100% Caribbean owned and formulated, the JCS Real and Hot Jamaican Curry Powder is the best brand to use for this recipe; it is truly authentic Jamaican "Reggae Style" and will give your Jamaican Patties the most delicious curry flavour possible.
"Jamaica Me Crazy" Seasoned Pepper Gives Jamaican Patties More Kick
For an extra special Caribbean kick, consider substituting 1 teaspoon of the pepper in this recipe with Johnny's "Jamaica Me Crazy" seasoned pepper. It will give your Jamaican Patties a spicier Caribbean flavour.
For the Filling
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 finely diced medium onion
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper (or half pepper/half Jamaica Me Crazy Seasoned Pepper)
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F / 200 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the dough; flour, curry powder and salt.
- Cut in margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in water until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Handling the dough as little as possible, break apart into 8 equal pieces.
- Using flour as necessary, shape each piece into a ball and then roll it out into an oval approximately 8 inches long and 5 inches wide. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of oil or margarine in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion until soft, about 2 minutes, and then stir in ground beef.
- Cook until the beef is evenly brown, making sure that there is no pink remaining. Drain off most of the fat.
- Stir in all the seasonings; curry powder, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the beef broth and then the breadcrumbs. Simmer for a couple of minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spoon equal amounts of the filling onto each piece of pre-rolled pastry.
- Wet the edges slightly, fold over and then seal the edges neatly with a fork.
- Trim the patties of excess pastry around the edges, using a knife.
- Brush the top of each jamaican patty with a little beaten egg, and using a knife, make a small slit in the top of each patty to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Click HERE to visit the online Gourmet Caribbean Food Store