Switch From Soda to Kefir Water Probiotic Drink You Easily Make at Home
I Kicked My Root Beer Cravings By Making My Own Tasty Healthy Drink
Drinking store brand Sucralose sweetened root beer (or any other) artificially sweetened and flavored soda pop is just not in sync with my organic diet but I couldn't imagine what I could substitute to satisfy my cravings.
A couple years ago I decided to revamp my regular diet, after consulting with my chiropractor Chiropractic Joy.
In the process I overcame some health problems that she targeted with her brain-based treatment and gentle manipulations and my overall health improved. I had replaced white sugar with healthy natural sugars that are low on the Glycemic Index - of vital interest to those who want to avoid or diminish the effects of an epidemic of Diabetes.
It made no sense for me to hang onto my craving for the earthy flavored bubbly drink, so I set off on a quest for a replacement that would satisfy my taste, and I share that recipe here.
Published September 10, 2013 on Squidoo by Leslie Sinclair
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS copyright 2013 by Leslie Sinclair - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - no use permitted
I Rank These Kefir Crytals Top Notch
As a novice water kefir maker I was able to produce refreshing drinks from the first batch on. This has become a regular part of my life now.
Previously I had made milk kefir with coconut milk and liked the taste, but the process produced too much kefir for me to drink and I wanted to replace my rootbeer habit with a water based drink. It's a wonderful accompaniment to my staples.
This is the package I bought and continue to use, after five months.
They are small, about half the size of a grain of rice, and arrive in a sealed plastic bag.
Directions for using and keeping them are included.
For crystals that are already hydrated and ready to make kefir, this is the product choice.
It delivers 1/2 cup of crystals, so it will brew a half-gallon or gallon at a time.
He Believed that Probiotics Could be Beneficial to Us
kefir is a probiotic
In the early 1900s this scientist shared his idea that human health could benefit from the addition of certain microorganisms (they make changes, some say positive changes) in the guts of human hosts.
That means they cause the already existing microorganisms in our bellies to do things like mediate gastric disturbances, and cause better digestion and processing of our foodstuffs.
Many regular users of probiotics swear by their use and sing their praises in anecdotal accounts of health improvement.
The photo and much more information on this topic come from Wikipedia: Thanks to Ilya
Probiotics or by another name - Tibi Tibicos Japanese-Water
The Vital Ingredient For This Marvelous Drink
My online research led me to make my purchase of these organic crystals at Amazon. Reviewers consistent raves about the product convinced me to place my dollar on this product.
I will soon add my 5 Star Review to the preponderance of this product's fans on the website. Right now I'm too busy enjoying the beverage with the confidence that probiotics help make healthy bodies.
15 Minutes & 48 Hours and Voila!
1. mixing bowl, preferably glass
2. large mixing spoon
3. nylon mesh strainer
4. quart pitcher
6. flip-top sealing bottles for carbonating your beverage *Optional - carbonation is a choice. Beverage is delicious and fulfilling without the fizz, but suit yourself.
Assemble utensils and ingredients and marvel at how easy it is to make the drink.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 1 Quart
- 4 Tablespoons Keysands Orangic Kefir Water Grains (Crystals)
- 3 Tablespoons Raw Orangic Cane Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Raw Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 Large Medjuhl Dates
- 1 Quart Mineral Water - non-sparkling
- 1/2 teaspoon Bakto Flavors Natural Root Beer Flavor
- 1. Pour Mineral Water into mixing bowl or large glass measuring pitcher
- 2. Add Sugars
- 3. Stir to dissolve sugars and pour into quart pitcher
- 4. Open Kefir Crystal bag and place crystals into nylon mesh strainer
- 5. Pick out and discard any dry strands of crystals (all mine were live)
- 6. Rinse crystals gently in fresh water and drain in strainer
- 7. Add crystals gently to pitcher
- 8. Add dates to pitcher
- 9. Add root beer flavoring
- Cover pitcher with loose lid, allowing mixture to breathe. Note the closeup of my pitcher and lid showing spout opening. Cheesecloth is a useful covering material if you don't have this type of lid - just be sure that it is not covered air-tight, or kefir won't develop.
- Let sit at room temperature for one or two days. Check after 24 hours and if it's done, then strain out crystals as you fill your glasses, add ice, and enjoy. Wait up to 48 hours if you don't notice any change in the water.
- For Natural Carbonation
- Fill flip-top sealing bottles with kefir water and let sit at room temperature for between two and five days. You'll be able to see the bubbles through the glass, and soon you'll recognize the timing that works for your ingredients and method.
- The Next Batch
- Rinse out the pitcher and repeat the process (no need to rinse crystals prior to making subsequent batches). Kefur Grains Crystals will typically grow in volume so soon you will be able to make two or more pitchers full at a time. Buy a case of quality flip-top bottles so you always have empties on hand.
Check Bottle for Mineral Content
Tipping Crystals Into Pitcher
An Elegant Conversion Transpires
48 Hour View With a Floating Date
You know your kefir grains are growing when you see new strings in the water mixture.
After one day I saw an increased cloudiness but not much else, so I waited another full day to see what happened. The dates had begun to plump up.
Presto! one date floated up to the top, surrounded by new growth of kefir grains that accumulated throughout the pitcher, but especially at the top and bottom.
I already had the flip-top bottles on hand for my first batch, because I wanted to try carbonating some of the probiotic drink to see if it was as satisfying as that old store-brand soda pop.
Below, see what the mixture looked like when I removed the cap after 48 hours. Below that follow the procedure of straining the crystal grains and dates out of the kefir water, in pictures.
It Was Beyond My Imagination How I Would Satisfy My Cravings
Prompted by a quest for better health I decided to give kefir water a try.
Enjoy the Freshness of Probiotics
Immediate Gratification & Bottled Drinks from 1 Quart Mineral Water
Items For Making Your Own Root Beer Probiotic Kefir Water
I chose the premier flip top bottles because they are most highly rated. In case I want to carbonate some of my drinks I don't want the bottles to explode, which sometimes happens with cheaper bottles which are also available here.
I have this same pitcher and the advantage it has for this project is that the lid does not seal tight. So, it covers the contents, but the kefir can still breathe.
I'm not the only kefir maker who uses this strainer for the process. The holes are tiny; it's easy to clean, and you get three for the price of one.
This measure is ideal for using to dissolve the sugars in the water, and use the spout to pour the mixture into the pitcher.
I've Ditched the Commerical Chemical Laden Drinks for Natural Probiotics & Taste
Order the Ingredients Delivered to Your Door
This is a handy way to always have a supply of pure water on hand. It is important to not use tap water because it contains chlorine and fluoride which will cause your kefir water to fail.
If you have trouble finding non-carbonated mineral water you can simply add these healthy drops to your fine pure spring water.
Be certain not to buy sparkling mineral water for kefir making - if you let it sit bottled long enough it will make its own natural carbonation.
I seldom use cane sugar, even organic, but water kefir works best with white sugar, so this is what I use. It is organic and much less processed than the big brands.
I use this beautiful sugar for kefir and for baking and smoothies too.
I am so happy with the nutty flavor these medjool dates add to my kefir. It enhances the rootbeer flavor and serves as a sugar food for the probiotics development.
A Bunch of QUIZZES
Thanks, Imagination, For Encouraging Me to Ditch the Sucralose Soda Pop