Luscious and Low-Carb: Meatloaf
Meatloaf with Bacon: Low-Carb and Gluten-Free!
This meatloaf does triple duty: it is low-carb for Atkins eaters, it is gluten-free for celiac sufferers, and it is utterly, sinfully delicious for everyone. My kids beg me to make this meatloaf with bacon. Yes, there's a filler that helps it hold together, just as there is for every meatloaf. Read on to discover the secret ingredients for filling and flavor!
Follow the step-by-step photos with instructions, or go straight to the printable recipe card for gluten-free, low-carb meatloaf with bacon at the bottom of the page.
All photos © tandemonimom.
Gluten-Free, Low-Carb Meatloaf with Bacon Ingredients - Assemble all ingredients beforehand.
2 lb ground beef
8-oz can tomato sauce
3 or 4 tbsp tamari sauce (soy is fine, if you are not avoiding gluten)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced very fine
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 to 3/4 cup Parmesan, Romano, or other shaker-style cheese (or combine!)
1 slice uncooked bacon, finely chopped
Yes, Parmesan or Romano cheese replaces the usual breadcrumbs or crackers in this meatloaf!
It is delicious and brings meatloaf back to the table for low-carbers & those who can't eat gluten.
Parmesan, Romano, & Asiago Cheese, Shaker-Style - Grated cheese is the filler that adds flavor to the gluten-free, low-carb meatloaf with bacon!
Much Lower Carbs, but Not Carb-Free Meatloaf
Yes, there is some tomato sauce in this recipe, but the carbs are still drastically reduced. The ketchup in the recipe is replaced with no-sugar tomato sauce; the ketchup or gravy on top is replaced with cheese; and the breadcrumbs are eliminated completely for a significant reduction in carb count.
That's uncooked bacon, chopped up fine. If you've never had meatloaf with bacon yet ... TRUST ME.
Put all the ingredients into one bowl.
Leave out the bacon if you must, but you should do yourself a FLAVOR and try it at least once!
Mix lightly but thoroughly.
Tongs are indispensable in my kitchen, and perfect for this messy job without overhandling the meat.
Low-carb, gluten-free meatloaf with bacon!
What Interests You Most About This Meatloaf?
Pat the meat lightly into shape.
A casserole dish (any shape) is perfect to catch all the juices that will ooze deliciously out.
CorningWare Creations 2-1/2-Quart Covered Round Casserole - Extra juicy meatloaf with bacon needs a nice deep dish!
When it is almost done ...
... add grated cheese and return to oven to finish.
Tillamook Cheddar Cheese - Top the low-carb meatloaf with a thick layer of cheddar cheese
Low Carb Meatloaf with Bacon Preparation Steps
Steps illustrated above; printable version lower on the page.
1. Mix all the ingredients together. Don't overhandle the meat, just mix enough to incorporate the ingredients.
2. Shape lightly into a casserole or other deep dish.
3. Bake uncovered at 350* for approximately one hour.
4. About 10 minutes before removing from oven, add a thick layer of grated cheese, preferably cheddar, and allow it to melt.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 8 -oz can tomato sauce
- 3 or 4 tbsp tamari sauce (soy sauce is fine if you are not avoiding gluten)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic minced very fine
- 2 eggs
- slightly beaten
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Parmesan / Romano / other shaker-style cheese (or combine!)
- 1 slice chopped uncooked bacon
- 1. Mix all the ingredients together. Don't overhandle the meat, just mix enough to incorporate the ingredients.
- 2. Shape lightly into a casserole or other deep dish.
- 3. Bake uncovered at 350* for approximately one hour.
- 4. About 10 minutes before removing from oven, add a thick layer of grated cheese, preferably cheddar, and allow it to melt.
Many thanks for
SquidAngel blessings from
Squidoo logo is a trademark of Squidoo LLC. Graphics, Squidart and Squidoodles Â© 2008 by tagsforkids (Steve Thompson).
Some rights reserved. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License.