- Food and Cooking
My Two Piecer Regular Or Low Sugar Spicy Fuji Apple Pie Recipe!
My "Two-Piecer" Fuji Apple Pie Recipe
My husband said something to me that he has never said (after thirty-plus years of marriage) while carrying his second slice of my apple pie to his favorite chair. He said, "Honey, this one's a two-piecer." He later said some more nice things like "this is the best pie you've ever made!" I did manage to sneak a piece, and had to agree with my husband. It was really amazing. So, I made some notes!
I'll share with you my low sugar spicy apple pie recipe, and will give you modifications for using regular sugars. The pie shown is the low sugar version. Either way, I promise you'll love it!
My Favorite Pie Utensils On Amazon! - I've Picked These Just For You!
What Is Your Favorite Kind Of Pie?
I have found that barely dampening the top of the pie crust then sprinkling with Demarara Sugar creates a wonderfully sparkly, crunchy topping and adds a bit of caramelly flavor to the pie.
My grown son came into the house while this pie was baking and said, "Wow – you're doing your apple pie, the house smells awesome!"
The Debate Is On!
What's Your Favorite Kind Of Baking Pan?
Glass! Here are my thoughts...
What's Your Preference For Topping Your Slice Of Apple Pie?
This pie, unbaked, may be frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw completely before baking.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: 6-8 (If my husband doesn't get into it!)
- 7 -8 Large Fuji Apples
- 1/2 Stick Real Butter or Margarine
- Two Prepared Pie Crusts
- Small amount Demarara Sugar
- 4 -5 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Allspice
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 cup Splenda
- Dash Salt
- Peel, core and slice 7-8 large Fuji Apples into large saucepan. (Rule of thumb in making apple pies - pile apples in the pan you'll be baking the pie in to see how many apples you need to overfill the pan).
- Place all remaining ingredients except pie crusts into saucepan. Add 2 tbsp. water. Cook, stirring frequently, on medium heat until apples are getting hot and all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cover and simmer on lowest setting for about 20-25 minutes, or until apples are slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- Place bottom crust in pie pan. Prick slightly with a knife or fork. Add pie filling , spreading evenly.
- Place top crust over pie as shown. (Note: When using rolled refrigerated pie crusts as I did with this pie, allow them to come to room temperature before attempting to fool with them.) Press edges of crust firmly together, and make your little fluting all around to make it pretty.
- Prick a design on top crust if desired; otherwise just put fork or knife pricks all over crust evenly to vent steam.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 then reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
Using Real Sugar Instead...
Omit the Splenda sugars and substitute real white sugar and brown sugar in the same amounts. Piece of cake! (Oops..'m-I bad... I meant piece of PIE!)