- Food and Cooking
Saucy Lamb Riblets
Breast of lamb is a fatty, rather tough, and very cheap cut. Here is a cooking method which extracts fat, tenderizes the meat and transforms it into a succulent dish. It is an ideal meal to make a day ahead, then reheat gently when required.
As lamb riblets are rather small, they might fall through a normal grill grid. To avoid this, cover your grid with foil which has been perforated to allow fat from the riblets to drip into the grill pan.
If you wish, you can simmer the riblets in the oven rather than on top of the stove. Temperature should be 190°C (375°F).
Saucy Lamb Riblets Ingredients
- 2 breasts of lamb
- a little oil
- 150 ml tomato juice
- 1 small onion
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons)
- Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vinegar
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
Saucy Lamb Riblets Directions
- Cover the grid with a piece of foil. Perforate at intervals with a skewer. Put in position and heat the grill until hot.
- Divide the breasts of lamb into riblets and put them in a single layer on the foil-covered grid,
- Grill under medium heat for 3-4 minutes to brown each side.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Skin and chop the onion.
- Put the onion and all remaining ingredients into a heavy-based saucepan or a flameproof casserole.
- Add 150 ml of water and heat gently, stirring, until well blended.
- Using tongs, transfer the browned riblets from the grill to the sauce pan or casserole.
- Bring to the boil, stirring.
- Cover tightly and simmer over lowest possible heat for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Check the pan occasionally. If the sauce falls below the level of the riblets, stir in a little hot water.
- If serving immediately, remove fat by floating a slice of bread on the surface of the sauce.
OR allow to become cold. Lift off the fat when hardened. When required, reheat gently and serve.
Lamb Riblets Variation
For curried riblets, chop onion and fry until transparent in oil. Add 10 ml (2 teaspoons) mild curry paste and stir until well blended. Add 150 ml water and 150 ml tomato juice. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 50 g (2 oz) raisins, then add the pre-grilled riblets and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.