Lamb Shanks in the Slow Cooker
Not your mother's lamb shanks
Lamb Shanks have changed remarkably since my mother cooked them.
The lamb shanks themselves are still the same, it's the ingredients and method of cooking that my mother wouldn't recognise.
Shanks were once classed in the frugality basket but, although they're still great value for money, you can produce a gourmet meal from this old favourite.
Brown the meat first. The slow cooker isn't about hurling everything in and turning it on.
- Cook time: 10 hours
- Ready in: 10 hours
- Yields: 2
- Two lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large carrot
- 2 medium onions
- bay leaf
- teaspoon brown sugae
- sprig rosemary
- clove garlic
- Brown shanks in a heavy pan
- Add chopped carrots and onions to the slow cooker.
- With a slotted spoon, remove shanks to a large plate or board. Score the outside of the lamb shanks and rub crushed garlic into them, sprinkle on a little salt, add shanks to the slow cooker
- Add the sugar, wine, bay leaf and stock.
- Cook for either 10 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
Don't use too much liquid. If the shanks look like they're in a bathtub, take off the lid for a wile so the liquid can go away.
Prep Time: Overnight marinade
Total Time: Overnight + 1 and 1/4 hours
You can cook Lamb Shanks in the oven too
- 2 lamb shanks
- sprig rosemary
- garlic clove bruised
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
- 3/4 cup red wine
- teaspoon olive oil
- teaspoon brown sugar
- Put shanks in a bowl with all of the ingredients and leave to marinate overnight (12 hours).
- When ready to cook, place the shanks and the marinade liquids into a baking dish and cook for about an hour.
- Turn over halfway through the cooking time.
- Let it stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Lamb Shanks from Nicko's Kitchen - in cranberry sauce
Cook Book for Meat on the Bone
You need a good dish for the oven
12 ounce casserole dish with glass lid, a 20 ounce casserole dish with glass lid, a 2 quart casserole dish with glass lid and bonus slotted spoon and serving spoon set
How about you?
Do you like lamb shanks?
All comments are greatly appreciated. You don't have to be a bit of lamb to leave yours