5 Easy Salad Meal Ideas
Salad makes the perfect side dish for dinner?
Leafy salads are a good choice and go with any meal.
They are quick and easy to prepare and best of all they do not need a stove! Not to mention how Healthy they are. You can eat as much as you want. The varieties are endless.
Sometimes chicken wings or Steak and Salad is enough. You won't need potatoes or noodles. There are many things you can do with Lettuce. Salads don't just have to be side dishes either. They can be the main course, depending on how you prepare them. Adding fruits and raw or cooked vegetables can be some choices.
Lettuce becomes salad as soon as you add Vinaigrette & other dressings
Sometimes just a plain, green, leafy salad will do the trick. Just add a nice Vinaigrette over it and you will be on your way.
Add extra flavor with some chopped onions , garlic or fresh shredded Parmesan cheese..
Any kind of Lettuce is fine except "iceberg" it really has no nutritious value and doesn't taste well by itself. It contains a lot of water and has virtually no flavor. But that's my opinion. It is good to use on hamburgers and other sandwiches.
I personally enjoy Romaine, Arugula, Oak Leaf, Butter Lettuce, Spring cuts and such. These types of lettuce hold dressings better too.
1) Chicken, Beef, Apples, Beets, Avocado, Red Oranges, Toasted Almonds And Cranberries
Ingredients For a Simple And Tangy Vinaigrette
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juice, squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1-1/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons vinegar, Your choice ( Red wine, apple cider, white vinegar) maybe a little extra
- Dump the onions in a large salad bowl
- Add the lettuce and toss
- Drizzle the olive oil all over the lettuce - toss evenly
- Sprinkle half the salt and garlic - toss
- Squeeze the lemon juice around the salad - toss
- Sprinkle remaining salt and garlic on salad - toss
- Add all of the Vinegar - toss
- Taste a piece of lettuce to insure flavor is to your standards. Add more vinegar, lemon juice or salt if any one of those are needed.
2) Avocado, Peaches, Apples, Raspberries, Blackberries And Shaved Parmesan Cheese
Salad Side Toppings
If you prefer more than just leafy lettuce then add Pears, Celery, shredded Carrots, red Onions, Tomatoes, pickled red Beets, Oranges, Almonds, Parmesan cheese.
Feta Cheese is a crumbly, strong tasting cheese and goes well on salads. Adding a few thin slices of red onions, your favorite dressing, a few sprigs of spring lettuce.
The list is endless when it comes to salad toppings.
Salad should always be tossed not stirred.
This keeps the salad from wilting, bruising and going limp thus distributing the vinaigrette evenly.
3) Chicken, Cranberries, Almonds With Colorful Oranges
Using a lettuce spinner saves a lot of time. Always wash lettuce in cold water to keep it crisp.
My Lettuce Spinner has served me well
4) Bacon - Spinach Salad with Scallops and Butternut Squash
5) Backed Chicken Legs, Raspberries, Pears, Peaches, Shaved Parmesan Cheese
What's on Plates 1 through 5
- Plate #1
Mixed salad with almonds, cranberries, Parmesan Cheese
Chicken, Beef strips, Avocado slices
red oranges, pears
- Plate #2
Mixed salad topped with, shaved Parmesan Cheese
Avocado slices, Peach slices, Raspberries,
Blackberries, Pears, Olives
- Plate #3
Mixed Salad with almonds and Cranberries
Grilled Chicken , Oranges - Red and Orange
- Plate #4
Raw baby Spinach with red onions and bacon bits
Butternut Squash and Scallops
- Plate #5
Mixed salad with pecans, raisins and shaved Parmesan Cheese
Olives, Blackberries, Raspberries
Peaches and Pears
Nutritional value of Lettuce
Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium
Vitamin-C, K and Folate
Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium
Vitamin-A, C, K, B-6, Riboflavin, Iron, Potassium
Butter Lettuce also includes Bibb and Boston varieties
Calcium, Riboflavin, Magnesium, Phosphorus
Vitamin-A, C, K, B-6, Folate, Iron
Please Rate These Salad Plate Ideas
© 2014 Ramona