- Food and Cooking
Learn how to use a rice cooker
How to use a rice cooker - Simple Guide
How do I use a rice cooker? Do you ask this question often? Would you like to try your new kitchen gadget but are afraid you may not use it properly? Rice cooker are very easy to use. You can make many different types of rice like, brown rice, basmati rice, white rice, jasmine rice, oatmeal, sticky rice and many other recipes.
Here you will learn how to use a rice cooker to cook white rice in 10 easy steps.
Did you know that rice cookers are not only for cooking rice but ideal for preparing other dishes like savory soups, hearty stews, desserts, and one-pot dinners? Scroll down for great rice cooker recipe books that will let you prepare delicious and healthy meals for your family.
Need nutritional information on Brown rice or white rice? Or want to learn how rice can help boost your daily folic acid intake? Find this and other rice facts at : Rice Facts for rice lovers
How to use an electric rice cooker in 10 easy steps
Generally for 1 cup of rice use 2 cups with an additional 1/2 cup of water. Most rice cookers will have the measuring cup or you can use your own cup. A point to note : the measuring cup that is included with the rice cooker is not the same size as a standard US measuring cup (240 ml or 1 cup). It is about 180 ml or 3/4 cup.
- Measure the rice and place in the cooking pot.
- Rinse the rice. Fill the pot with tap water and stir with your hand while it is filling. Drain the cloudy water and repeat until you can see almost clear water in the pot. Some water will remain in the pot but that o.k.
- Soak the rice for about thirty minutes. This is optional.
- Add water to the pot. Keep in mind: Taste and hardness or softness of the rice will vary depending on the amount of water, type and quality of rice and how long it is cooked. For softer rice use a little more water. For firmer rice add a little less water. You may need to experiment with your rice cooker and see what works best for you.
- Add butter, margarine, or oil and salt and/or seasoning if desired.
- Place the cooking pot into the rice cooker.The heating plate and the outer surface of the pot should be dry.
- Place the lid on the pot.
- Plug your rice cooker into the electric outlet. Most rice cookers will have "Warm" and "Cook" lights. Press down the On switch to start cooking. As the rice cooks the steam will escape through the steam vent on the lid. Do not use the rice cooker under your kitchen cabinet. When the rice is done the rice cooker will switch to "Warm" mode and remain there until unplugged.
- Rest the cooked rice.Leave the lid on for about 5 - 15 minutes. This is not required but recommended. Your rice may stick to the bottom the longer it is left in "warm mode". Remove the pot from the cooker.
- Remove the lid with oven mitts and stir rice before serving. Always remember to lift the lid away from you to avoid getting burned by the steam. Unplug the rice cooker.
To watch a step by step video for a Zojirushi rice cooker go to : How to use a Zojirushi rice cooker
Watch how to use a Black and Decker rice cooker - How to use a rice cooker to cook white rice Youtube video
Rice cooker recipes
Know that you know how to use a rice cooker, see what else it can do besides cooking rice.
Recycled rice bags
I really like these bags made from recycled rice bags. You will find backpacks, shopping totes, makeup bags, messenger bags and much more.
How to make a warming or cooling rice bag
Braun K650 combiMax | Braun Multiquick 3 K650 Review
If you are looking for a powerful yet easy to use, good priced food processor, than Braun K650 CombiMax it is. This Braun K650 CombiMax kitchen machine has ...