- Food and Cooking
Long Beans Cooked Dry
Long Beans recipe
Long beans curry, as the name suggests, makes use of long beans, which is a fairly popular vegetable, known by various names - yard long beans, black-eyed pea beans, string beans or cow pea beans.This simple recipe can be adapted without any change for green beans, bush beans and even cluster beans.
Long beans is usually a foot long and is mostly seen in the countries of South and Southeast Asia. It is a healthy vegetable, low in calories and rich in fiber and packed with vitamins C and A, and other micro nutrients.
This is a fairly traditional South Indian recipe but there are variants. The method below incorporates changes that I have picked up over a period of time from friends and relatives.The recipe is essentially vegetable steamed with fresh grated coconut and light spices and it is easy to prepare once you have the ingredients.
All photos in this hub are by the author (Photo credit : Aster56)
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 30
- Green long beans 250 gms
- Green chillies 6 to 8
- Garlic pods 5 to 6
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Cumin seeds 1tsp
- Turmeric ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Fresh grated coconut ½ cup
- Coconut Oil 2tblsp( or any oil of your choice.)
- Salt to taste
- Water ¾ cup
- Wash and cut the beans very fine.
- Take ½ cup grated coconut and keep aside to be ground with the other ingredients.
- Grind the green chilies, curry leaves, garlic and cumin seed into a fine paste. Add the grated coconut to the ground paste and run the grinder just once. We don't want the coconut ground fine - just get it mixed with the ground paste.
- Take a pan and heat it. Pour the oil on the pan and add mustard seeds. When it begins to crackle add turmeric power and immediately add the cut beans and mix well. Now add the ground masala(paste) into the pan. Mix well and add salt. Cover and cook the beans on low flame.
- After 5 minutes add ¾ cup water and mix well. Cover and let the beans cook till dry. Keep stirring the beans so that the masala mixes well and gets into the beans. Remove from the stove
- Long beans curry is ready to be served. This dish goes well with rice.