- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Low Carb Spaghetti Using Spaghetti Squash
Not Your Traditional Spaghetti Dinner
Spaghetti sauce served over pasta noodles has always been a family favorite meal. This recipe is a little different than your traditional spaghetti meal. Rather than pasta, I've used squash. This might sound terrible to some people but it actually quite delicious.
One day I saw a recipe on the internet for spaghetti squash. After looking at it, and seeing the texture of it, I had this idea to make it and then pour a pasta sauce over it. When I told my husband about it he immediately turned his nose up at it as he doesn't care for squash in any shape, form, or taste. But after eating this new dish he now likes spaghetti squash.
If you follow a low carb diet this recipe is perfect for you.
Photo source: All photos in this article are the property of Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to borrow or use them, please get permission in writing first to do so.
Normally when I make spaghetti sauce I always tend to make too much. What I do is freeze the extra sauce when this happens. For this dish I took my frozen sauce out of the freezer the night before, heated it up and poured it over the spaghetti squash. If you'd like to see my recipe for spaghetti sauce I'll provide a link for it further down this article.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- spaghetti sauce
- Parmesan Cheese *optional
- 1. Preheat your oven to 375Â° F.
- 2. With a fork poke holes in the squash.
- 3. Place the squash in an oven safe dish and place it into the oven for 1 hour.
- 4. Remove the squash and let it cool off to the point where you can touch it without it burning you. Be careful because it is very hot.
- 5. Slice the squash in half lengthwise.
- 6. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from the center.
- 7. With a fork carefully rake out the squash. It will be just like strand of spaghetti.
- 8. Place it into a dish or bowl.
- 9. Pour heated spaghetti sauce over the top of the squash.
- 10. If desired add fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- 11. Serve and ENJOY!
Photo Tutorial on How to Prepare and Cook Spaghetti SquashClick thumbnail to view full-size
Don't Throw Away Those Squash Seeds
Waste not, want not, is something I've always lived by. Rinse off the squash seeds, pat them dry, and in a small bowl coat them with a bit of olive oil and salt. Place the seeds on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper, Pop them into a 275 degree oven for 15 minutes. Now you have a healthy snack to enjoy.
My Tradition Spaghetti Sauce
Here is my recipe for Spaghetti Sauce
© 2013 Susan Zutautas