Low Carb Zucchini Dessert Bread Recipe
Zucchini Carob Dessert Bread
Before starting my low-carb lifestyle, every Fall or at the end of Summer, I would make chocolate zucchini bread. I've been craving this bread, and my son has been asking me to make it for him. This year I decided to adapt my recipe and make a low-carb zucchini bread using carob rather than chocolate chips. For my son I made my original recipe, and will include that recipe below.
Photo Source: All photos in this article are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to borrow them please get permission in writing before doing so.
Helpful Kitchen Tools - For making this recipe
Ever since I got my set of stainless steel mixing bowls I don't know how I ever lived without them. I use them every day in the kitchen for baking, making salads, and more.
Please note that in 1/2 cup of carob chips there are 48 grams of carbohydrates. If you divided that by 4, each loaf contains 12 grams of carbohydrates.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: mini loaves - 40 minutes large loaves - 75 minutes
Serves: makes 4 mini loaves or 2 large loaves
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup of carob chips
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 4 mini loaf pans or 2 large loaf pans.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add and stir the oil into the dry mixture.
- Beat 4 eggs together with the vanilla extract.
- Add this to the large mixing bowl and beat well. (You can use an electric mixer, however I find using a wooden spoon works just as well)
- Grate the zucchini and add it to the batter, mixing well.
- Add the carob chips and walnuts, mixing well.
- Spoon the bread batter into the 4 mini loaf or 2 large loaf pans.
- Pop into the oven. Mini loaves will take 25 minutes to cook. Large loaves 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for ten minutes.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pans and continue to cool the loaves on a cooling rack.
- Slice and Enjoy!
What is Almond Flour
Almond flour, also known as almond meal is ground almonds. You can find this at your local health food store or in many grocery stores. It is also available to purchase online at Amazon.
Photo Tutorial - Making Zucchini Bread - Part 1
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Add the oil, beat the eggs, and then beat again with the vanilla.
Add the egg mixture mixing well.
Grate the zucchini and add it to the batter.
Add the carob and walnuts to the batter, and mix well.
Get your loaf pans ready, and spoon the batter into the pans. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to equally divide the batter.
Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
For People Not on a Low Carb Diet
While I was baking bread today for myself I also baked 2 large loaves of Chocolate Zucchini bread for my sons.
To make the bread you see here in this picture, simply substitute the following ingredients:
1 .All purpose flour rather than the almond flour
2 .Canola oil rather than the olive oil
3. Chocolate chips instead of the carob chips
Please note that for this recipe you'll need to add 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Measurement and the rest of the ingredients not mentioned here are the exact same as the recipe for the low-carb bread.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
© 2013 Susan Zutautas