- Food and Cooking
Low Fat Fryer, T-Fal Actifry vs Philips Airfryer
Air Fryer - Get Yours Today
I have been looking for a healthy way to have my French fries for a while, and to be honest, I looked at the air fryers, but I was reluctant because of the very low fat content, and the relatively high price of this devices. Well I couldn't have been more wrong in postponing the decision, and I should have been bought it as soon as I found out about it.
I bought my T-fal Actifry on an impulse, I got an unexpected bonus from work and I couldn't resist the idea, my wife who is generally even more reluctant to new kitchen gadgets was on board with my idea, so there was no reason to wait anymore. This was the best investment in my kitchen in the last few years, I am a fan of the Maillard effect in my kitchen, and to obtain that without oil is awesome.
T-fal FZ700251 ActiFry Low-Fat Multi Cooker
What Is an Air Fryer? And Why Doesn't Need Fat?
An air fryer is a cooking device that uses very hot air for cooking, instead of fat as in deep frying. The result is no fat, or very low fat content in the cooked meal. The hot air is blown in bursts inside the pot, simulating the hot temperatures of deep frying. With deep frying, or even pan frying, the vegetables are just drenched in cooking oil, it is the oil temperature that makes them crispy, and gives them that great texture. When frying potatoes, they would just crumble if there would be not enough oil. The hot air in an air fryer render the potato chips crispy, creating the so much desired crispy crust.
We only need one spoon of oil for every 2 lb of fries.The great thing is that your fried vegetables are so much healthier with air fryers, be it Actifry or Airfryer. My wife is a health freak, so before buying the airfryer, I would have to run a real campaign to pan fry vegetables for some of our meals. That's very understandable if we think about the amount of fat involved in pan frying. And to be honest, there is also some work involved. If we compare that to an air fryer, where you only put your vegetables and your spoon of oil, I'm almost inclined to put more, because I like my food greasier. Add that to the fact that you don't have to do anything during the cooking, like for pan frying, no stirring, and watching over the veggies, just put them in the airfryer and press a button. It's that easy. Now, we can always cook our veggies in the airfryer, no more steaming, I don't like steamed vegetables, but don't tell that to my wife.
The best thing about my ActiFry is that I can now cook again with butter. We use so little butter when cooking in an airfryer that the health issue is not an issue anymore, yet we get the delicate taste of food cooked with butter. YAY!
Fried chicken is thanks to our ActiFry, an easy task, and now is even healthier than before. The chicken gets cooked evenly, there is no need for oil, and you get to actually melt some of the fat in the chicken, so the end result is lower fat. I have so much more examples of foods that can be cooked in an air fryer, just use your imagination.
Philips Airfryer vs T-Fal ActiFry
Low Fat Fryers Compared
- Both of them use very low fat for frying your meals.
- Both are using Air cooking technology
- For delicate breaded food items, or for ground meat patties, or for veggie patties the ActiFry doesn't work. The rotating arm will break the patties. The Philips airfryer is the best for cooking patties, because there are no moving parts.
- For frying potatoes and vegetables in general, they are both clear winners competing to other low fat cookers, I would give the T-Fal a slight advantage because of the rotating arm that ensures an even cooking, but Philips is very close.
- T-Fal cooks up to 2.2 pounds of food at once, whereas Philips only 1.8.
- T-Fal ActiFry has only one cooking temperature - 338 F, the Philips AirFryer has adjustable temperature up to 380 F.
- AirFryer has a 30 minutes dial timer, ActiFry has a digital 99 minutes timer.
- ActiFry does not need warming up AirFryer needs 3 minutes.
- The unit from T-Fal has a transparent see-through window, the other one does not.
- Fries need to be shaken in the Philips machine, while in the T-Fal they don't need shaking because the stirring paddle does that for you.
ActiFry Fried Pineapple Recipe
This fried pineapple recipe uses an ActiFry T-fal pan, instead of a regular frying pan. The ActiFry reduces the amount of butter needed for cooking, making this delicious treat healthier. The pan fried variant requires a few times more butter than this one.Ingredients:
- 2 fl. oz. Rum, or Metaxa, (or a quality brandy)
- 1 cup sugar, (you can use brown sugar if you want to get a darker tint)
- 1 ActiFry spoon measure - butter, (I add a little bit more, because I love butter, and I save on butter anyway, since the original recipe asks for 6 oz.
- 2 lb pineapple cored and sliced