The Best Ever M&M Cookies Recipe
These M&M Cookies Are My ABSOLUTE Favorite Cookies
Are you looking for the best-ever M&M cookies recipe? Well search no more! On this page, you will find what I consider the only recipe for M&M cookies because why would you mess with perfection once you've found it?
This, the original recipe from M&Ms, is perfect and can be adapted to suit different holidays simply by buying the appropriately colored M&M candies. In my home, we've enjoyed Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day and plain-old-everyday M&M cookies and loved them all, whatever the color.
In a sense they are about the absolute worst cookie I make...because when they are here, I just cannot leave them alone!
Don't miss the photo gallery that follows the recipe. The M&M cookies showcased there are absolutely delicious and presented courtesy of the fantastic bakers and photographers at Flickr.com.
Picture of these M&M Cookies from my own kitchen.
The Best Ever M&M Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup of soft butter (it is critical that it be soft)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups regular all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 -ounce package of M&Ms (see my secret in the box near the end of the page)
- 3/4 c chopped nuts (optional see my note in the instructions)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy. It is critical that the butter be at room temperature in order to make this step work nicely.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- The recipe says to STIR in M&Ms and nuts at this point. I always put the M&Ms right in the mixer. I suppose a couple might get broken but if they are it hasn't caused any serious issues and doing it this way is easy and fast. My boys have never taken nuts to school because of children with allergies and, as a result, have gotten used to their cookies without them. Therefore, we always skip the nuts. That's a matter of personal choice.
- Using teaspoons, drop cookies of about one heaping teaspoon onto your cookie sheets, making them about two inches apart. My cookie sheets need to be greased. Be aware that making these cookies too big causes them to spread out and become flat.
- Bake for between 10 and 13 minutes. I prefer mine cooked less rather than more. Another personal choice but don't overcook them.
- Cool on wire cookie racks.
Buying M&Ms For Baking
If you have ant difficulty sourcing M&Ms at home, you can find them on Amazon. This bag is a nicely sized bag, which will suit your baking and your snacking needs! The size makes it the best value, better than what I can find locally.
M&M Valentine's Day Cookies
My M&M Cookie Secret...
I never EVER have used
the small baking sized M&Ms.
I ONLY use the full-sized ones and
I believe they are THE reason that I
CANNOT stop eating
THE BEST EVER M&M COOKIES
when they are in my cookie jar!
Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar? Who me? Couldn't be! Is there a Cookie Monster in YOUR house?
I am sorry for those of you for whom this recipe did not work. I have made them regularly for many, many years and others have made them successfully, too. They are our favorite cookie recipe and, as always, they were highly successful just yesterday.
Unfortunately, I cannot determine why your version of this recipe did not work out. Follow the recipe carefully, try not to over beat the butter and to keep your cookies small. We do find that making them bigger makes them flatter, which is the problem I hear about the most and I think if they are too soft, they would be more likely to spread.
© 2009 Treasures By Brenda