maja blanca (coconut cake)
Cook time: 1 hour 20 min
Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
Yields: 10-15 servings
- ½ cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1cup sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon sweet corn kernel
- 4 cups fresh coconut milk or water
- ½ cup grated coconut meat (optional)
- Pour coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to boil. Wait until oil separates from the coconut mixture and the precipitates turns into dark brown. This dark brown formation is called “latik”. Drain the “latik” from the oil. Set aside.
- Grease a 13-inch rectangular dish with coconut oil. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized saucepan, blend rice flour, sugar, cornstarch, sweet corn kernels and fresh coconut milk or water.
- Stir in optional grated buko or coconut meat. Boil over slow heat and stir constantly to prevent lumps. Wait until mixture is clear after 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour hot mixture into prepared dish and allow to set. Sprinkle the “latik” over the set mixture. Let it cool before slicing.
- If rice flour isn’t available, soak 2 cups of rice in 2 cups of water overnight. When soft, grind in blender until smooth.
- After cooling, you can put it in the refrigerator. Best eaten when cold.