- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
How to Make Chicken Stock: Chicken Broth for Recipes
Chicken Soup for the Soul
If chicken soup is for the soul, then making chicken stock should be at the top of your recipe list in the kitchen.
Its easy to make chicken stock. Once you know how, using the stock in a variety of recipes - from chicken soup to chicken enchiladas - will add depth of flavor to your dishes.
Sure, you can buy Swanson's or another brand at the store, but nothing tastes like homemade stock.
There are a few ingredients to get at the store - fresh garlic, onion, celery and carrots. You can even use an inexpensive rotisserie chicken to form the basis of your stock. Homemade stock can be used in soups, casseroles, stews and crockpot recipes.
Making Chicken Stock
Cook Time for Homemade Chicken Stock
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: 8 cups chicken stock
Rate this Recipe for Chicken Stock
Make Chicken Stock
Chicken stock can be made in two general ways - using pieces of a chicken carcass, or using chicken bones. My preferred method is the first one, because chicken meat becomes part of your stock, which I think gives it the best flavor.
Here's how we make chicken stock.
- 4 pounds chicken pieces (backs, wings, legs) cut into 2-inch pieces - this is when you ask your butcher to help you out
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- 2 t. salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 quarts water
- olive oil
1. Heat 1 T olive oil in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add half of the chicken pieces to the pot. Cook 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Transfer to the bowl with onion/garlic mixture. Sauté remaining chicken.
3. Return onion, garlic and chicken pieces to the pot. Add parsley and thyme. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a separate pot or kettle.
4. After 20 minutes of cooking the chicken, turn up the heat to high and add the 2 quarts of boiling water, salt and bay leaves. Return to a low simmer, cover, and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
5. Strain broth and discard solids. You now have chicken broth to use in your recipes! If not needed immediately, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days, or freeze for 2-3 months.
Uses for Homemade Chicken Stock
Homemade chicken stock is useful in many recipes. Because you control the flavor and seasoning, you can tweak recipes in your favor. In addition, canned chicken stock, or boullion cubes are very high in sodium. With homemade chicken stock, excess salt is not an issue. That makes it a healthy choice for people with high blood pressure or kidney issues.
Your own chicken stock will add a special element to your cooking. I've collected the best recipes using chicken stock as a base. Be sure to try any or all of them!
Fragrant Thai Chicken and Noodle Broth: Starting out with a recipe from Jamie Oliver. This one is perfect for two of you - if you have a larger crowd, be sure to double it at least! It's a light, tasty dinner any time of the year.
Mushroom and Asparagus Shepard's Pie: This hearty dish is comfort food at its best! Mushroom and asparagus are fresh and healthy ingredients. Make this entrée any time from February through June!
Sweet Potato Soup: Chicken stock forms a perfect basis for this unique, sweetly satisfying soup, with cinnamon and allspice to remind you of fall recipes.
Crockpot Herb Chicken with Stuffing: This inexpensive easy meal will soon become a staple at your home. Once you see how simple it is to make this delicious dinner, you'll probably fire it up at least several times a month.
Mushroom and Chicken Risotto: I love risotto. I love mushrooms. Add to these two ingredients homemade chicken stock, and its heaven on a fork.
Chicken Stock for your Cooking
- 10 Ways to Use Chicken Stock - Recipes with Chicken Stock
So you've made chicken stock. Now what? Here are 10 recipes you can make using chicken stock.
- Chicken Stock Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Food Network invites you to try this Chicken Stock recipe from Alton Brown.
- Stock Making 101 - How to Make Soup Stocks - - FabulousFoods.com
How to Make Homemade Soup Stocks, a cooking tutorial covering poultry, meat, seafood, and vegetable stocks.
- Basic Chicken Stock Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Onions, celery, carrots and whole cloves are simmered with bony chicken pieces in this recipe which yields a little more than a quart of rich stock to use in soups or sauces.
© 2010 Stephanie Hicks