Make Homemade Applesauce and More Apple Recipes
Delicious Homemade Applesauce and Apple Recipes
In many areas. September is the beginning of apple season, ripe for the picking. Today with global availability fresh apples are in the market year around and has extended the season much to the delight of apple lovers.
There are so many delicious recipes that include apples it is difficult to know where to begin. I like to think of homemade applesauce as a long time favorite of adults and children alike. I have been making my own applesauce for years with a recipe from my grandmother who had her own apple trees. I love sharing this easy recipe and have included several other favorites too.
Grandmoms recipe is not too sweet and a favorite in our house. And it is easy to make!
- 8 Apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional-or to taste)
- 1. Peel, core and slice apples into small chunks.
- 2. Place apples and water in large sauce pan
- 3. Add the salt and cinnamon
- 4. Cook on medium until apples turn to sauce consistency( approx. 10 minutes), stirring to keep from sticking.
- 5. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until reaching desired sweetness.
- 6. Continue cooking until the sugar is dissolved. Approximately 5 additional minutes.
- When cooking is complete, taste and add more cinnamon or sugar as desired.
- photo credit
There are Easy Ways to Peel an Apple
These apple peelers are such a time saving convenience
Making Apple Pie
I have made many apple pie recipes and this is the one I always go back to. This recipe consistently comes out just the way a good apple pie should.
It is Easy and Delicious - (with homemade crust)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup ice cold water
- 6 -8 apples - peeled
- cored and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Combine the flour and salt.
- 2 Cut in the shortening with a fork or a mixer on low speed.
- 3. Add 1/4 cup water and stir with a fork (about 40 times around) to form a ball-add more water if necessary,
- 4. Place 1/2 the dough on a floured surface or floured pastry cloth and roll out slightly larger than your pie pan.
- 5. Do the same with the remaining dough.
- 6. Place one sheet of dough into you pie pan-9 inch is good but I have used an 8 inch pan
- 1. Place apples in a large bowl.
- 2. Stir in lemon juice
- 3. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over apples stirring to mix and coat.
- Spoon into crust-lined pie plate and cover with 2nd pie crust.
- Wrap ends of top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal.
- Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees then turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake another 45 minutes.
- tip-check with toothpick to make sure apples are done.
- photo credit
Martha Stewart Ceramic Stoneware Apple Pie Keep Baking Dish with Decorative Lid
APPLE PIE DISH, Oven To Table 9" Stoneware NEW
Apple Pie Plate
9 Inch Decorative Pie Plate Apple
Some of My Favorite Apple Dessert Recipes
I love cooking with apples. Any dessert with apples included is a hit in my house. I can't tell you the number of recipe requests I have had for my favorite apple crisp.
Not only do apple desserts taste good but baking the desserts sends a wonderful aroma throughout the house.
Try these recipes - you really won't be sorry.
This dish has it all. A crispy top over the most deliciously cooked apples. This is a true favorite.
Bake this dessert for a special event, potluck, or family dinner and you won't be sorry.
Apples with a crumbled topping and a brown sugar glaze, it doesn't get much better for dessert.
This cake is really, really easy to make and very moist. Great to take to a "bring a dish" party.
Some Great Apple Cookbooks
It is amazing the number of delicious recipes you will find that center on one of our favorite fruits-the apple.
Apple Recipes to Try
There are so many ways to prepare a dish with apples as an ingredient that I thought I would share a few of the ones I have tried or will try in the future. Would love to hear what you think of these recipes so leave me a note in the comment section - even if you find another recipe that I can add to my list!
- BAKED APPLE RECIPES
Baked apples are an easy dessert and also go well with many dinners, especially makes a delicious pork side dish.
- APPLE FRITTERS
Very good way to use up apples. For a fast and easy treat apple fritters are something you should try.
- GLUTEN FREE APPLE RECIPES
Here is a collection of over 20 gluten-free apple recipes. Gluten free is popular right now as a diet but it is also a life-saver for those with celiac disease.
- APPLE MAIN COURSE RECIPES
If you have never tried pork roast with apples and sauerkraut you are missing a wonderful dinner. Check out these main course recipes that use apples for something different.
- HEALTHY APPLE RECIPES
Apples can be part of your meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these healthy recipes for breakfast like Baked Apple-Cinnamon French Toast and see what you have been missing.
- BRITISH APPLE RECIPES
Straight out of England you will find some wonderful recipes for apples like the Apple and Plum Pudding with rum caramel sauce that I am going to try over the holidays. Check this out for some great ideas!