Yummy Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake Recipe
The term "ice-cream cake" can either refer to a block of ice-cream shaped to look like a cake, or ice-cream and cake layered with one another to make a single dessert. They are usually served at birthday parties and weddings. The idea for ice-cream cake first stemmed from trifles in the Renaissance period, and written recipes have been found dating back to the 1870s.
Today, ice-cream cakes are very popular in the US, especially as the main dessert for celebrations that fall in the summer months. You'll often be given a piece at "July 4th parties, for example.
A number of famous retailers now offer ice-cream cakes. Friendly's, Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin-Robbin's, Carvels, and Dairy Queen all prepare these cakes for their customers.
Great Value Cake Mix Packs
Make a Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake
A deliciously mouth-watering ice-cream cake made of a single slab of sponge and a lone layer of ice-cream, topped with chocolate syrup and almonds. Serve this at your next Summertime celebration and keep your guests cool and contented.
- 1 (18.25) pack white cake mix
- 2/3 cup chocolate syrup ice-cream topping
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 (8 ounce) container non-dairy frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate syrup ice-cream topping
- slivered almonds, toasted
- Bake the cake mix by following the directions provided on the packet for a 13 inch x 9 inch cake and allow it to cool slightly.
- Tip the cake out onto a sheet of tinfoil and leave it to cool completely, setting it aside for now.
- Mix the 2/3 cup of chocolate syrup, the condensed milk and the slivered almonds together in a large bowl and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour the blend into a 13 inch x 9 inch baking pan lined with tinfoil, cover it, and place it in the freezer.
- Freeze the ice-cream for 6 hours or until it has become firm, then use the tinfoil to lift it out of the pan and turn it out evenly onto the layer of sponge.
- Layer the top and sides of the cake with the non-dairy whipped topping and drizzle it with chocolate syrup and any leftover almonds.
- Return the cake to the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving it up.
Notes & Tips
-Store the cake by covering it and keeping it in the freezer. Do not place any other frozen goods on top of it.
-This cake can be made as much as 2 weeks ahead of time.
-Depending on the temperature your freezer is set at, you may need to remove the cake 15 to 30 minutes ahead of serving.
-Use chocolate cake mix if you'd prefer. Don't be afraid to experiment with different flavours of cake and ice-cream.
-If you'd like a little more variety, use different toppings, such as crumbled cookies, sugar strands, fresh fruit, and/or chocolate chips.