- Food and Cooking
Making Whoopie [Pies, That Is]
Making Whoppie Pies . . . Fun and Easy!
Making whoopie pies is not all that difficult. With a few simple choice ingredients and recipes (some dating back almost a century), you can make these popular taste treats 1-2-3.
What is a whoopie pie you might ask?
Well it's hard to describe in words . . . a whoopie pie is made of a creamy, marshmalow-like filling sandwiched between two cake-y textured, cookie-ish sides.
So it's really not a cake or cookie or pie . . . but who the heck cares. Once you've tried a homemade whoopie pie, you'll immediately know that it's in a class all by itself!
Poll: Ever Had A Whoopie Pie?
Have you ever tasted an authentic whoopie pie?
A Popular Recipe For Making Whoopie Pies
Photo used under Creative Commons from: michelle@TNS, on Flickr
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 12 medium
- 1/2 cup solid shortening
- 1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (dutch process)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- >>>For Filling
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 cups marshmallow cream (like Marshmallow Fluff)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Line baking sheets with parchment (or use non-stick whoopie pie pans).
- In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar together until light & fluffy. Then add egg and beat to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients (cocoa, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
- In a measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla.
- While continuing to beat the shortening sugar mixture, alternately add some of the dry ingredients and a bit of milk (in 3-4 batches) until all is blended well.
- Drop mixture by large spoonfuls (with space large enough for muxture to spread) on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- For Filling
- Beat together shortening and sugar until well-combined, add marshmallow cream (Fluff) and vanilla and whisk until light & fluffy.
- To Assemble:
- Put a dollop of filling on one cake, then top with the another cake.
- . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- Photo used under Creative Commons from: abakedcreation, on Flickr
Video: Making Whoopie Pies - Step-by-Step
Unbleached Parchment Paper - Green Seal Certified
Unbleached parchment paper creates a quick, healthy, mess free nonstick surface; Green Seal Certified; oven safe to 450 degrees; jumbo sized roll; 65.6-feet long by 13-inches wide; 71 square feet
Take the Guess Work Out of Evenly-Sized Cake-lettes - With This Whoopie Pie Pan
Nonstick pan features 12 spaces perfectly sized to help you create tops and bottoms for six tempting whoopie pies
Making Whoopie Pies For Your Sweetie? - Try this "heart" whoopie pie pan
Make fun, heart-shaped sandwich cookies perfect for your valentine. Non-stick surface of this pan provides easy release.
Modern Cooks Have Made Whoopie Pies In Other Delectable Flavors
Here are a few variations ...
Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie
Photo used under Creative Commons from: dinnercraft, on Flickr
Making Whoopie Pies In 4 Flavors - See what this clever cook created . . .
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies - A favorite seasonal whoopie pie treat
Vanilla and Matcha Whoopie Pies - An hmm-hmm good green tea filling
Vegan Molasses Whoopie Pies
Is it a cake? Is it a cookie? With such deliciously soft and sweet cream-filled snacks, does it matter?
This adorable volume devoted entirely to whoopie pies features more than 40 mix-and-match recipes, including the classic chocolate with marshmallow cream and a range of bright flavor combinations
Even ... Zucchini Whoopie Pies
Photo used under Creative Commons from: Lucy Crabapple, on Flickr
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Recipe for Zucchini Whoopie Pies along with fifteen other great whoopie pie recipes can be found in this guide:
This little book is a wide-ranging, lighthearted look at whoopie pies and the folks who love them. This book contains 16 recipes including healthy, gluten-free, and zucchini whoopie pies!
Not Interested In Making Whoopie Pies Yourself? - Order These Baked-For-You "Maine" Whoopie Pies
Maine Whoopie pies are outstanding. The two chocolate cake halves surround a creamy filing.
Pumpkin Maple . . . Hmmm
Photo used under Creative Commons from: kim siciliano salem, on Flickr