- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Healthy Mango Muffins
Healthy Mango Muffins
Don't you just love muffins? I know I do. They are like a cupcake but normally much healthier for you. These mango muffins are no exception as they are made with whole wheat flour and reduced sugar, you will never feel guilty about a quick afternoon snack or popping one into your child's lunchbox.
You may wonder why I have chosen to make mango muffins as opposed to using a more traditional fruit such as apples. Where I live in Brazil, we are currently in our mango season and are inundated with wonderful mangoes. My neighbors are being given mangoes by the wheelbarrow full this year as it has been a bumper harvest.
In the recipe below, I have used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 brown or whole wheat. This makes it healthier but not too heavy. I also use slightly less sugar because the mangoes are sweet.
The mangoes I use are a juicing variety which are quite fibrous. I chopped them small to ensure the fibers are broken up well.
- 10 oz (280g) (1 3/4 cups) Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour) / Whole Wheat Flour, I use a half white/half brown combination
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Salt
- 4 oz (110g) (1/2 cup) Granulated Sugar, (I use slightly less)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger, (optional)
- 1 Egg, Large
- 8 fl oz (240 ml) Milk
- 3 fl oz (90ml) Corn Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 6 oz (170g) (1 1/4 cups) Mangoes, Peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sugar, (topping)
- Preheat your oven to 375-400°F (190-200°C). Place your muffin cases in your pan.
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, and salt. Stir these together thoroughly. Add sugar and spices if using and stir. Make a hole in the center and set aside.
- In another bowl we are going to combine the wet ingredients. Begin by cracking your egg and lightly mixing it. Add milk, the corn oil, the vanilla and the chopped mango. Mix.
- We are now going to combine the two bowls. Pour the wet mixture into the hole you made in your flour mixture. The key here is to not over mix it. You are going to have a lumpy mixture but you shouldn't see any flour.
- Spoon into your prepared muffin cases. This should make 12 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with a little sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. I always test a muffin that is in the center of the pan, just to be sure. Allow to cool.
Toppings for Muffins
Although I used a small amount of sugar for the topping, these could be made without anything on the top. Alternatively they could have some of the following.
More Mango Recipes
- How to make smooth mango juice
Are you wondering how to make smooth mango juice, free from all the pulp and stringy bits? Here on our farm in Northern Brazil, our mango season goes from January until April. We have several trees and use the mangoes daily. There are many different
- Easy to Make Mango Chutney
If you love mango chutney but always thought that it was too complicated to make, you are going to love this recipe. This tangy condiment may soon become a firm family favorite in your home.
- How to make mango jam at home
Are you tired of your normal jam for your morning toast, try making some mango jam. You can start your day with a taste of the tropics! Using just 3 ingredients, this jam is delicious & easy to make.