- Food and Cooking
Mary Berrys tomatoe and cheese tart
Mary Bery tomatoes and cheese tart
- 375g risen white bread dough
- 1 large onion sliced
- A little butter
- 450g tomatoes
- 375g Cheddar cheese sliced or grated
- Salt and pepper
- A little chopped fresh thyme
- 8 slices short back bacon
Ingredients for the bread dough
- 250g plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 30g margarine
- 1 level teaspoon dried yeast or 30g fresh yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 150ml tipped water
- 150ml tipped milk
Method of making the bread dough
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the margarine.
- Mix the dried yeast and the sugar into the water.
- Leave it in a warm place until quite dissolved and beginning to froth.
- If using fresh yeast mix it and the sugar into the water stirring to dissolve the yeast.
- It is now ready for use. Unlike dried yeast it is not necessary to wait until the mixture froths up.
- Add the yeast mixture with milk to the flour mixture.
- Mix to a pliable dough and turn on to a floured board.
- Knead well until the dough is no longer sticky, and is smooth and shiny.
- If the dough is a little soft, extra flour may be added, while kneading , but it is difficult to add water if too firm.
- Lightly grease the bowl and place dough in it. Cover, or place inside a large polythene bag.
- Keep away from draughts, and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Turn on to a floured board
- and knead lightly to let out air and to make dough pliable again.
- The dough at this stage is referred to as "risen dough".
Method of making the Mary Berry Tart
- Roll out dough on a large, floured baking sheet into a 12 inch circle.
- If you do not have a large baking sheet make two small tarts.
- Fry the onion in the butter until soft.
- Spread onion over dough. Cover with the tomatoes including most of the juice.
- Cover tomatoes with the cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt,pepper and thyme.
- Arrange the bacon over the top.
- Cover and put in a warm place to rise for 15 minutes.
- Cook at Gas 7, 425°F, for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Serve at once.
# Make sure that the bread dough is risen and light. When using yeast make sure that its fresh. Tomatoes should be red in color and firm.
# If you use the ingredients correctly then you will enjoy this delicious Mary Berry Tomatoes and Cheese Tart.