- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Pasta Recipes
Meatiest Pasta Sauce Recipe
Sauce is Almost Done
Beef and Hot Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce
Homemade pasta sauce is so much better than the canned or jarred sauces, and I find taking that little bit of extra time to prepare it makes a world of difference. Over the years the sauce I make has changed a million times. Okay, maybe not really a million, but many times. I like to have my pasta sauce on the spicier side, and the first time I added hot Italian sausage I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
The following recipe can be used over any type of noodles, and is great for spaghetti or for lasagna. I've also used the leftover sauce on chicken breasts.
If you prefer your sauce on the milder side use a different type of sausage.
- 1 Tbs. of Olive, Canola or Vegetable oil
- 6 cooked hot Italian sausages sliced
- 2 pounds of cooked lean ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 -3 ribs of celery chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large green or red pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms (whichever type you prefer)
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Spices: I never measure them so I'd say to taste on all of them
- crushed chili peppers
- fresh ground pepper
- 4-5 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- In a large 6 quart or 5.6 liter pot heat the oil.
- To the pot add the chopped onions, and celery.
- Stir and cook on medium high for 4-5 minutes, and then add the minced garlic.
- Next add the chopped peppers and sliced mushrooms, stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir.
- Time to add all the spices, stir and bring the sauce to a boil.
- The cooked sausage and ground beef can now be added and the stir again.
- Turn the heat down to simmer, cover the pot and cook for an hour. Every so often give stir the sauce.
- Spoon over your favorite pasta, serve and enjoy.
Helpful Kitchen Pot
The perfect pot for making sauces, mashed potatoes, or vegetables. This pot comes with a lifetime warranty and can be used in an oven up to 550 degrees F. Made from mirror-polished 18/10 stainless-steel exterior and aluminum inner core for fast, even heating.