- Food and Cooking
Cupcakes for Men | Manly & Butch Cake Recipes and Flavor Ideas
Top 10 Cupcake Flavors for Men
Cupcakes are delicious but are usually aimed at kids or are girly in design, so I've put this page together to list my favourite cupcake flavours and recipes which are more manly than the norm - which means plenty of beer and bacon!
There are bacon, pretzel, popcorn, banana, Bourbon whiskey, toffee, jelly donut and many more fun ideas and ingredients, perfect for turning cupcakes into manly treats. And most importantly...no sprinkles!
I hope you find this selection appetizing, and perhaps give a few of the cupcakes a try :)
Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes
How To Make Candied Bacon
Candied bacon is basically bacon covered in sugar and then cooked - easy! You can add other flavorings in with the basic sugar mix (think of the process like marinating) if you like, such as a pinch of cayenne pepper and/or cinnamon.
What You Need:
* Light brown sugar; Half a tablespoon for each slice of bacon you are cooking
* Thick slices of bacon, approx. 0.25" thick (however many you require)
* Finely ground black pepper
* Aluminium foil or parchment paper
* 2 Baking trays/sheets - both the same size, or one slightly smaller than the other.
* A mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 325 ºF/165 ºC/Gas Mark 3.
- Put the bacon in your bowl and season with pepper.
- Add the brown sugar to the bowl and use your hands to coat the bacon thoroughly with the sugar.
- Sandwich the bacon slices between baking trays as follows: baking tray (the largest) first, then a layer of parchment or foil on top, then bacon pieces spread out on top with no overlapping...
* At this point tip any leftover sugar from the bowl on top of the bacon slices *
...then a further parchment or foil layer on top of the bacon, and finally the other baking tray is the last layer. The purpose of this 'sandwich' is for the top baking tray to add weight on top of the bacon to keep it flat.
- Put this tray sandwich into the center of the oven for up to 40 minutes, checking the bacon's progress at the 20 and 30 minute marks. If at 20 or 30 minutes the bacon is already quite crispy and is golden brown in color, take it out of the oven. If not, leave it in until the 40 minutes are up.
- Let them cool then chop them into pieces to use as cupcake toppers. You can even dip the bacon pieces in chocolate if you like... Yum!
Best Cupcake Books & Supplies
For full-color mouth-watering photos and huge idea resources, books are most certainly the answer! Here are a couple of great examples, plus some fancy (but still manly) cupcake wrappers, awesome skull pans and a cupcake-making machine: