Mexican Avocado Soup and a Side of Corn Bread
Cold Soups are Refreshing During the Hot Summer
Cold avocado soup is a perfect summer meal; easy to make. Cold soups are becoming more and more popular in the summer as a way to keep cool and get great nutrition at the same time. If you find that you like this cold soup, you may also want to try others; gazpacho is another very popular of the cold soups.
By itself, avocado soup makes a wonderful summer appetizer, or paired with cornbread, and dessert, it is a full meal for your family or guests.
I have included the recipe for the soup, and for a cornbread side dish.
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbs. dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- fresh black pepper
- cayenne pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup minced green chiles (canned)
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion
- Tortilla chips, for garnish (you can buy them in strips)
- Peel and pit the avocado. Cut it into 1 inch pieces. Place the pieces in a blender jar or a food processor fitted with a steel blade, and puree until it is very smooth. Put avocado into a bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients, and mix well. Adjust seasonings per taste to suit your taste. Cover the bowl tightly, and chill until very cold.
- Float a generous handful of tortilla chips on top of each serving. You can also garnish with chopped cucumber, sour cream or plain yogurt.
- Takes 15 minutes to prepare, plus the time to chill. Makes four servings.
Make Your Own Yogurt at Home to Garnish Your Soup
Make your favorite yogurt in an easy and natural way with this Automatic Yogurt Maker by Euro Cuisine. Built in timer and auto-shut-off turns off machine when the yogurt is done. Seven 6-oz glass jars (lids included)Make different flavor in each jar. Built In timer3-year warranty. Italian inspired design.
Buy The Complete Guide to Making Cheese, Butter, and Yogurt at Home: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply (Back-To-Basics) (Back to Basics Cooking)
Avocado soup variations
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup diced canned green chiles
- 1/4 cup grated jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 inch square pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the corn meal.
- Crumble in the brown sugar. Mix these ingredients together, with a fork, until they are well blended. Make a bowl shaped well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Beat together the egg and the sour cream or yogurt. Pour this mixture into the well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Mix with a spoon. The batter should blend easily with a few swift strokes.
- Add the green chiles and the cheese. Mix into the batter.
- Spread into a buttered 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched.
A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
This recipe is perfect for a family summer gathering outdoors on the deck or patio. Serve it chilled to get the best results.