- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Mexican Dessert: Healthy and Easy Corn Cake Recipe
Mexican Corn Cake with a Beautiful and Original Presentation
Using Healthy Wholegrain Ingredients
This recipe is a healthy whole-grain delicious treat that you will make in a very short time -the most easy cake ever.
It is made with heart healthy unsaturated fat, because it replaces the butter with vegetable oil and, if made whole grain, it is a very good way of getting fiber into your diet without really noticing it. Works well as a breakfast cake too.
Straight-up whole corn is a healthy food, not only is it considered to be a whole-grain, but it is also sometimes considered a vegetable (that according to the Whole Grains Council has "the highest level of antioxidants of any grain or vegetable.”).
Just like wheat though, you want to make sure you only buy the most nutritious whole-grain corn products that include all the parts of the kernel (the germ, bran, and endosperm).
Ingredients for the Mexican Corn Cake
- 1 cup corn oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup unrefined sugar
- 1 cup flour (for a more nutritious wholesome cake choose whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 can condensed milk
- 8.8 ounces (250g) golden or sweet corn kernels (you can also buy them canned)
- 2 cups white Mexican corn kernels (raw)
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp amaranth grain
- 4 Tbsp chopped pecan nuts
- 4 Tbsp sunflower seeds
Ingredients that are difficult to find such as white corn and amaranth are available at amazon.com:
How to Make this Butter-Free Recipe
- Mix together the white and golden corn kernels, eggs, condensed milk, sugar, vanilla and oil in a blender.
- Once you have a smooth puree, add the flour and baking powder and blend once more until the dry ingredients are fully integrated in the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured baking dish, sprinkle the seeds, amaranth and nuts over the top and bake in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (around 50-60 minutes, depending on your oven).